• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1858 New Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsnwater

40 Cal
Reaction score
Picked one up this weekend and can't see a brand name on it anywhere. It's imported by Dixie Gun Works. I would like to know the maker and age. Can I tell that by the serial number?

It is an Italian revolver I suppose...
Does this revolver still have the Gardone proof mark (square with letters inside)?
With only the serial number, it could be difficult because of the factory stock rotation and the rather random releases that mix everything up...

If that can help you it is all I have in that sens :

Attachments

• Numéros_Pietta.png
    Numéros_Pietta.png
    549 KB · Views: 0
The serial number won't tell you anything. There should be a date code on the RIGHT side (sorry, originally posted left) of the frame in a rectangular box below the cylinder and near the proof marks. Generally the manufacturer will stamp their logo on the bottom of the barrel but you will have to lower the loading lever and possibly remove the cylinder pin to see it. In some cases an importer will stamp the bottom of the grip frame with their logo.

Last edited:
Dixie plastered their name across the top. I’ll check for that date code tonight. Thanks

Attachments

• 5822DA36-7688-4ADD-AB37-FFC9E6D9366A.jpeg
    5822DA36-7688-4ADD-AB37-FFC9E6D9366A.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BD8787FA-5290-4EB6-AF98-3482027C7D90.jpeg
    BD8787FA-5290-4EB6-AF98-3482027C7D90.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
The revolver box picture you posted is typical of Euroarms revolvers. Does the box label show a serial number the same as on the Remington?

As hawkeye2 posted look on the bottom of the barrel for the maker logo. You will probably find the letters DGG indicating Euroarms.

More information on makers brand identification markings at Muzzleloading Forum link below.

Modern Replica Dating by Proof Marks

When in the above link click on the " powderhombre.com " link.

I think I found out why it hasn't been shot. The hand spring isn't working, I'll open it up tonight to see what's up.
If only the spring is broken, it is not a real problem: open a bit the slot, put off the broken part that is in the piece, replace the spring with a piece of clock spring and pinch the new spring as it was pinched before. That'll work like a new one. ;)

If only the spring is broken, it is not a real problem: open a bit the slot, put off the broken part that is in the piece, replace the spring with a piece of clock spring and pinch the new spring as it was pinched before. That'll work like a new one. ;)
Doesn't the spring have to be soldered in? I was reading a bunch of articles on the Remington when I got mine, and that seemed to be the recommendation. Is there a chance of it falling out if you don't?

Also, I saw mentioning of fitting the spring. Does that reference just matching the width to that slot in the bottom of the hand, or does it have to just be close enough to the same length and similar bend. Those things go from time to time, and I'd like for it not to be a painful experience when I go to change it out.

Doesn't the spring have to be soldered in? I was reading a bunch of articles on the Remington when I got mine, and that seemed to be the recommendation. Is there a chance of it falling out if you don't?
Look how it's made (the second one is for Colt) :
Elevateur-de-barillet.jpg
Ressort élévateur.png

You don't have to weld or glue : just crimp the new spring in the slot...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-201517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-201517_Chrome.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
I simply give the solution used by all manufacturers and repairers since ever, after that you do what you prefer or what you think is best for you, you can also buy the complete part (hand/finger+spring) from a dealer, but it will certainly need to be adjusted: repair parts are often larger than those to be replaced to compensate for the wear by adjusting it to the weapon and its general wear...

Also, I saw mentioning of fitting the spring. Does that reference just matching the width to that slot in the bottom of the hand, or does it have to just be close enough to the same length and similar bend. Those things go from time to time, and I'd like for it not to be a painful experience when I go to change it out.
I don't think it's a big deal. There is a guy on youtube that made his spring from a hair pin and it worked.

I don't think it's a big deal. There is a guy on youtube that made his spring from a hair pin and it worked.
That sounds like a good video to watch. The fact that you have implemented such a fix and that it seems to be working is a good sign. I like reading what has worked in actual practice for other people on this site.

You can buy the complete part, hand and spring, from Dixie Gun Works for $5.95. If you heat the hand and spring in order to solder it will take some temper out of the spring. I've never seen a hand spring as manufactured by the factory soldered, only crimped. This is true whether it be a reproduction or original C&B revolver or SAA factory Colts.

Back