• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
1851 Navy Colt

I just passed on an 1851 Navy Colt made by Armi San Paolo

It came with a locking wood case, powder flask, boolit mold a few balls and caps.

It also had an extra case harden trigger for some reason

The gun looked good, good bore but had some rust in the cylinder near the nipple holes

Wood case exterior was good but when you removed the gun from the case it was frayed

Powder flask had powder in it.

He wanted 300.00 for it. I offered him 200.00 he said he take 250.00

Case and accessories 100.00 and 100.00 for the 1851. I was only comfortable at the 200.00

The Gun maker is out of business. Any info on maker would be a help

Thanks

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/256213/

I think you did right, the steel frame has more value than the brass. But???
The guy might have something special for the guy that's looking to add a boxed version to his collection, but for someone that want's to shoot an older used replica revolver paying more than 200 is a tuff one,,
Tuff call,, I think I'd have passed too.

I passed on a NIB Pietta steel 58` a while back, guy wanted 230, I offered 200, he stayed firm. Cabelas had the same for 229.99, but I would have had to pay sales tax on that,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have paid that much. You can get them brand new for comparable prices. Cabela's often has sales and free shipping. The newer Uberti's and Pietta's will be better guns anyway.

DCP,

there's actually a very interesting history to that maker...
The Gun maker is out of business. Any info on maker would be a help

armi san paolo began in 1957 when luciano amadi met val forgett and william edwards while they were in italy looking for a company to make a navy 1851 reproduction... then an employee of beretta, luciano amadi was one the few people who spoke english and during dinner he, forgett* and edwards sealed the deal.

later amadi hired vittorio gregorelli who made the first order for those navy revolvers, and in 1960-61, davide pedersoli started making a kentucky pistol also for amadi.

armi san paolo s.r.l. later grew to the point where euroarms of america was formed to distribute all their products out of winchester va.

in 2002, armi san paolo s.r.l. changed its name to euroarms italia s.r.l. (which also owned euroarms of america) and that company closed in 2011.

the last known prices for an armi san paolo 1851 navy (actually listed under euroarms italia s.l.r.) from my blue book are:

mint $135
excellent $110
good $75
shooter $50
(last msr $156)

keep in mind that those prices were an "average" of msr and listed prices as of 2007, so adjust accordingly.

so, there you have it... a little history, business, and blackpowder all mixed together.

hope that helps,

:thumbsup:
~dg~

*val forgett formed and operated navy arms, inc., which has also discontinued distribution of bp products.

In the ag business they refer to tractors made by defunct companies as "orphan" tractors. Some command very high prices as collector's items, others are just scrap metal. (A rusted out POS Avery brought over $6,200 at an auction here a few weeks ago)

I suppose the seller thinks his "orphan" pistol is a collector's item.

Cabela's sale ad lists 1851 brass frame Confederate navies for $139. (I wish they were 36 cal.)

I'm sure becoming a lover of .36 caliber hand guns. I have two Yazel's in that bore diameter. One can shoot practically for ever with my favorite 15 grain load for target work. MD

Back