• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy nipple protector

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I examined a nice 1851 Colt Navy at a show recently; excellent mechanicals, it had a black plastic disc set in the rear of the cylinder so that any "dry fire" that might occur would protect the nipples. Is that a new thing, or did I just see something that's been around a while?

I can't take a picture of it but I went to Lowes website, you can go to any hardware store, and type in "faucet washers" they come in many sizes and are flat or beveled. hth

I examined a nice 1851 Colt Navy at a show recently; excellent mechanicals, it had a black plastic disc set in the rear of the cylinder so that any "dry fire" that might occur would protect the nipples. Is that a new thing, or did I just see something that's been around a while?
I make a dry fire cushion that fits in the hammer cut over the arbor thread but it must be made thin enough so the hammer can reset and still keep the hammer nose from contacting the nipple.
Works great and is made from a neoprene glass setting block sanded down to just the right thickness to accomplish as was described. It is removed with a set of surgical forceps I have or needle nose pliers.
The width is made just wide enough to stay in place by itself in the hammer cut. This one is fit to my Pietta model 1860.
It works better than individual nipple protectors as only one is required and all of them, what ever kind. must allow the hammer to reset or the action is locked up.
Picture one is inserting the dry fire cushion and picture two is when seated in place.
It must be removed before firing as it won't allow caps to detonate if fit correctly but is very simple with forceps or needle nose pliers.
Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sorry, never heard of that, but sounds useful. Can you post a pic of the device or a link to the vendor's product page?
I can't post photos, and don't know where the item came from. A guy had it for sale but I think it was a consignment item; he probably wouldn't know, but I thought it was interesting to mention in case anyone had seen. M. De Land here has a photo.

Latest posts

Back