• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulip rifle question....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I am hoping @rich pierce and @ekettenburg will chime in as pictures and info provided by Mr. Pierce are what prompts this question and Mr. Ketenburg provided a lot of good information in that topic thread.
Discussing early rifles recently, and some of my favorites, another fellow and I were looking at the pictures of the Tulip rifle provided by Mr. Pierce in this topic,
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/was-there-a-transitional-rifle.134955/
My question pertains to this picture of the lock
Tulip Rifle 10.jpg

The discussion says the lock is probably a replacement, but could the flint-cock also be a replacement put on just to make the gun look complete? Look at the relationship of the flint jaws to the frizzen, and more importantly to the pan. It doesn't look like this would even work if we extend a line out to where the flint edge would be,,,, and mores it looks to me like the flint would hit the pan.
Thoughts?

Would still love to see more pics of this gun, especially a full length picture.

Rich Pierce says you've built at least one rifle based on this gun. What did you use for a lock? Did you get to handle the rifle in person first?
I believe the original to possibly be Swedish. Appears to be stocked in birch if I recall correctly. I did mine in knarly maple anyway. It's on my list of things to build for myself. I'll see if I can see some pictures later today.

I believe the original to possibly be Swedish. Appears to be stocked in birch if I recall correctly. I did mine in knarly maple anyway. It's on my list of things to build for myself. I'll see if I can see some pictures later today.
The color picture provided by Rich in the linked topic in my o.p.
Tulip Rifle 08.jpg
Tulip Rifle 06.jpg

makes me surprised at beechwood, but I am certainly no expert.
Now that you have drawn my attention to it, I can see the possibility more.
I would be very interested to see any pics you have of the gun, and of course of your copy of it.

Thank you.

Beech has been used extensively in tools. Chisel handles, mallets, plane bodies and such. No reason it should not stand up to gunstock use.
It is often used in lower end stocks on modern guns today, also was used then on certain trade guns, including the Type-G. Seems to make for an excellent stock, structurally, it just isn't that pretty.
Beech is the girl you marry, she can cook, raise kids, grow and can vegetables, work with some livestock like chickens, handle the household when you're away, pretty in a plain way...... Curly maple, fiddleback maple, birdseye maple, other curly woods, are the girl you show off at the bar or party with, until you realize everyone else is trying to handle her too.

I'm sure that offended somebody, lol.
Relax, it actually works both ways, I know men who fall into the curly maple category too, and know many beech women who have fallen for them,,,, lol.

I remember that being a very close copy....obviously it's not. They say the first thing to go is the mind. :ghostly:
That was built more than 13 years ago. I bought the stock blank at Friendship from Dick Miller on the back porch of gunmaker's hall. Harder than woodpecker lips. LOL....

Here's my version. I can't say I like the box I put on this rifle.
tulip rifle
Wow!!!!!
That is freaking beautiful.
I like the patchbox, very sleek.
I'm not crazy about the more jaeger style trigger guard,,, but I like the jaeger style double set triggers. I have those on one of my guns and love them. Normally I prefer a simple single trigger, but that set up feels so natural.
That piece of wood is stunning and the finish is amazing.
The carving is spot on too.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Latest posts

Back