• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1842 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a rifled 1842 Springfield reproduction .69 rifled musket 'bout 20 years ago in the remote chance , it might shoot Lyman .69 cal. minies . The Lyman minie's were too small. So , not to be deterred , I found a small shop in Virginia , that machined and rifled the correct .69 cal. rifling in a "drop-in " Springfield barrel. Success. The rifle is one of my prize possessions. It is accurate to a fault , and extremely fun to send the bigger than life .69 Lyman minie balls down range. A low velocity minie of that size makes a distinctive "hissing" sound in flight accompanied by a distinctive slap when it strikes meat. Had to install a taller , slightly thicker front sight on the front barrel band , so it would be better for my old eyes to shoot at 100 yards. ............oldwood

Just curious, what does the weight of the gun in comparison to other non civil war guns as a reference.
I have wanted to get one of these for years. But never had the opportunity.

In a smooth bore, the dimpled round ball allows the outer fringe of the ball to be near or actual bore size while giving the ball a means to hold some lube. It has noting to do with the aerodynamics of the ball itself.
That’s only if the ball has too much windage to the bore. I use a 685 ball in my 42 in N-SSA competition. Load is 65g 3f Old E, RWS caps and dip lube the ball in musket lube. Out of my 42 Macon, that’s a one hole group at 25yds and can shoot until I run out of shoulder or ammo whichever comes first

I'm going to try that load in my flint 1816. Are you dipping the ball while it's in the tube?

That’s only if the ball has too much windage to the bore. I use a 685 ball in my 42 in N-SSA competition. Load is 65g 3f Old E, RWS caps and dip lube the ball in musket lube. Out of my 42 Macon, that’s a one hole group at 25yds and can shoot until I run out of shoulder or ammo whichever comes first

Here’s my version of a rifled Macon. It won’t get a SAC card but it’s nice hunting rifle.
397E9597-EDC2-4FC3-9ED9-8FD9A468C22E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to try that load in my flint 1816. Are you dipping the ball while it's in the tube?
Put charge in tube, plug tube with ball, dip exposed part of ball twice in musket lube. To fire, pop out ball, charge musket, ram ball lube side down. I have found sprue up or down doesn't make a difference nor even removing the sprue. This load in my 42 is seriously accurate.

I have a 42 Smoothie as well. I have tried those minies and they sure make a whooooosh sailing down range. Beyond about 25 yards or so, they would probably miss a man sized target. Like Zonie said, the minies were made for those brought back into the arsenal and rifled and rear sight added. I like to shoot mine with buck and ball loads.
42 smoothbore1.jpg
42 smoothbore2.jpg

I have a 42 Smoothie as well. I have tried those minies and they sure make a whooooosh sailing down range. Beyond about 25 yards or so, they would probably miss a man sized target. Like Zonie said, the minies were made for those brought back into the arsenal and rifled and rear sight added. I like to shoot mine with buck and ball loads.View attachment 50073View attachment 50074
OH YES-BUCK & BALL! used by the OLD IRISH BRIGADE, in there smooth bores. mowed down the REBS' like a SYTHE CUTTIN THROUGH WHEAT!!

OH YES-BUCK & BALL! used by the OLD IRISH BRIGADE, in there smooth bores. mowed down the REBS' like a SYTHE CUTTIN THROUGH WHEAT!!
The Civil War unit we portray is the 81st Penn. even though they had the option to swap out their 42’s for the newer 61’s, they chose to keep the .69 caliber buck and ball. Devastating up close in the thick stuff all right.

I think buck & ball was used for hunting man sized animals, not rabbits and squirrels and the plan was to kill or maim whoever was the target.

Latest posts

Back