• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1840s Halfstock from a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I find the early, pre-Civil War halfstock rifles more appealing than the common Hawken style and built this from a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit. I chose a few elements from period examples, most notably a fore without a nosecap that so strongly resembles a whale, I doubt it was a coincidence. The rib is wood, held in place with tenons I had to cut dovetails for. The barrel key required cutting a dovetail, and the slot in the stock. The long inlay along the underside, patchbox finial, single lock bolt plate, fluted butt, and thimbles all echo period elements. Stained with leather dye, finished with danish oil.
20230819_090704.jpg
20230819_090821.jpg
20230819_090952.jpg
20230819_083916.jpg
20230819_084024.jpg
20230819_090504.jpg

Even managed to get a cheek rest done.
20230819_100304.jpg

And some of my inspiration:
20210929_213333.jpg
Screenshot_20211023-084850.jpg
Screenshot_20211023-084651.jpg

Very nice work! I really like what you have done with the stock. But shame on you for giving me wild ideas that will make me lust for another Kentucky rifle to abuse, lol.
Was thinking about a wooden under rib on a Kentuckyish just last night.

If I come up with any more rifle ideas, I'm gonna have to build more walls to hang them on.

Nice work, OP.

I find the early, pre-Civil War halfstock rifles more appealing than the common Hawken style and built this from a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit. I chose a few elements from period examples, most notably a fore without a nosecap that so strongly resembles a whale, I doubt it was a coincidence. The rib is wood, held in place with tenons I had to cut dovetails for. The barrel key required cutting a dovetail, and the slot in the stock. The long inlay along the underside, patchbox finial, single lock bolt plate, fluted butt, and thimbles all echo period elements. Stained with leather dye, finished with danish oil.View attachment 246179View attachment 246180View attachment 246177View attachment 246183View attachment 246182View attachment 246181

Even managed to get a cheek rest done.View attachment 246197

And some of my inspiration:View attachment 246187View attachment 246188View attachment 246185
That is sweet!!!

if I remember correctly the ramrod does not have a threaded jag on one end. I asked Traditions about it and they said they were going for most traditional. I could buy another rod if I thought that I needed to clean the bore. Thought to clean the bore.!! That piece was the Davy Crockett .32 Yeah I bought another rod.

if I remember correctly the ramrod does not have a threaded jag on one end. I asked Traditions about it and they said they were going for most traditional. I could buy another rod if I thought that I needed to clean the bore. Thought to clean the bore.!! That piece was the Davy Crockett .32 Yeah I bought another rod.
No, it doesn't. I bought a separate rod with a threaded tip and will use that one.

Back