• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1809 prussian rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankboots

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have acquired an 1809 model prussian musket , date on brass butt plate is 1825. Has been converted to percussion , I assume in 1843, the date on the underside of the barrel. Barrelin good shape, nipple is not. How do I unstick a 180 year old nipple from this thing? thank you for your help.

Try PB Blaster or soaking the breech end of the barrel in motor oil. I would generally advise against heating a Prussian cone, as the bolster is threaded and brazed on and can come loose if you get it too hot. But if you are going to apply heat to it be sure it is unloaded.
As a last resort you can dill the old cone out with progressively larger bits before picking the threads out with a dental pick.

Very wise advice, heat helps but it must be controlled and as you need to lubricate the threads I’d suggest boiling in sump oil, base oil boils at around 500 Fahrenheit but some high grade motor oils will reach 1000 degrees. Brazing will melt at about 800 Fahrenheit so the average sump oil should br OK.
An easy check is to get a piece of water pipe, fit two end caps and drill a small hole in one, say 1/16”, put some water in it, stand in the oil and when steam comes out the temperature of the oil is around 212 F. which should be hot enough.

Then before it cools use an “Easy-out” or similar.

I’ll just add, make sure the oil container is relatively deep and not likely to tip over and do it outdoors if possible because hot oil will ignite very very fast.

Another way is to put the oil container in another containing water and then the temperature won’t go above 212, but have the oil container raised a little so that there is water underneath it.

Last edited:
Back