• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankboots

32 Cal
Reaction score
have an 1809 prussian rifle,dated 1825 on brass butt plate. was converted to percussion i assume in 1843, the date on underside of barrel, barrel in real good shape , the nipple not so. question is how do you remove a 180 year old nipple . thank you for any help

Soak the breech end of the barrel with the nipple in kerosene for a day or so, then when dry place the end of the barrel with the nipple in a chest of ice for 1/2 hr, then gently fit the nipple wrench and give it a few light taps. Hopefully, the nipple will turn. May have to repeat the procedure a few times.

have an 1809 prussian rifle,dated 1825 on brass butt plate. was converted to percussion i assume in 1843, the date on underside of barrel, barrel in real good shape , the nipple not so. question is how do you remove a 180 year old nipple . thank you for any help
Might want to start by confirming the gun isn’t loaded.

I have the same problem, mine is a Potsdam 1832 with a 1838 conversion stamp.
I have tried soaking that thing in everything that is supposed to loosen locked/seized threads! Everything! From day's to weeks even months.

I have read,, but have not tried,, Super heat.
Guy's will MIG weld a nut to the nipple with low enough voltage and feed to have the "weld" be a slow process,, not a "zap" but a slow melt.
The process is two fold, that super heat in the isolated area will cause some separation of the threaded section of the nipple and it's breech,, and, the nut left in place gives grip for a proper socket wrench to apply torque. A Six point fit, is better then that square.
Supposedly done quickly while things are still hot.
(so I have read)
I've not tried this, always being afraid of what any "weld spatter" might do to the surrounding barrel/breech.
The project has languished, life got in the way

Latest posts

Back