• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting back in the black powder game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly that appears to be your only choice beyond having one custom made. I'm surprised only Military Heritage makes an 1809 among the Indian gun makers. Not only do they not have a bayonet, I don't even see a lug or other attachment point on their version. I guess there's not much of a need to stab people when you've got access to lots of ammo.

Think I'm going to order a Pedersoli 1777 from DGW. While not quite as sharp looking as the Prussian 1809 with its brass furniture, the 1777 is still a fine musket and the bayonet is available.

I do find it odd that 65 caliber round balls and 65 caliber round ball molds seem to be rare. DGW only offers a .680 which is not suitable for traditional 69 caliber cartridges.

That's probably the easiest and most reasonable solution for you.

I used 0.648 balls from Track of the Wolf for cartridges and had a ball mold made from ballmoulds.com. I had them make me another mold for 0.34 so I could make buck and ball cartridges as well. If you're looking for a classic bag mold that may be a bit harder and I only have a 0.68 one. Callahan may make a custom mold for you at 0.65 though. Callahan Bagmolds - Products Page 1

Larry Callahan will make any size ball mold that you might want. These are high quality molds. The handles include a sprue cutter. You will need something to insulate the handles as these are "bag molds" that are intended for small quantity runs.

Think I'm going to order a Pedersoli 1777 from DGW. While not quite as sharp looking as the Prussian 1809 with its brass furniture, the 1777 is still a fine musket and the bayonet is available.

I do find it odd that 65 caliber round balls and 65 caliber round ball molds seem to be rare. DGW only offers a .680 which is not suitable for traditional 69 caliber cartridges.
I bought a Pedersoli 1777 IX from Dixie and is very satisfied with it. Very robust musket. Like you I wanted a bayonet as well for no other reason than i like it. No regrets here.

Attachments

• 20221213_180048.jpg
    20221213_180048.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221213_180101.jpg
    20221213_180101.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
I just finished placing a big order from a few different sources in preparation for the musket. Electric melting pot, ladle, cleaning jags, a paper cartridge kit, and a 65 cal ball mold from the above mentioned ballmoulds.com.

I regret selling my old pot and ladle years ago. I used to have 69 cal jags, but I appear to have lost them over the years. Thankfully I still have a large stockpile of lead and black powder because that stuff appears to have gotten insanely expensive!

Welcome back to the game. Post an update when you get the cartridges rolled and start hurling them down range.

Back