• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1763 French Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got a 1763 Libreville French flintlock pistol. I have tried to search the forum, but I must be doing something wrong. Since my recent surgery, my mind seems to be misfiring. Anyone have any dope on it? Looks about .69 cal. smooth-bore. Nice condition. I can not find any marks other than the M. de Liberfille below the pan and M1763 on the tang. RN on the barrel. :confused:

Yes, it is. It has no manufacturer's marks that I can see. It does have RN stamped on it, but I am not sure as to what that means. If it is a Veteran's Arms reproduction, what is the quality of their products? It appears to be a well built weapon.

Veteran Arms products appear to have been made in India, so finding any meaningful proof marks, let alone maker's stamps, is going to be unlikely in the extreme.

However, you are not the first person to ask this question, and this might answer you -
http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/Proofing.html

This also appeared in response to remarks about their products on sale in the USA - I quote it as found -

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

I typically do not respond to comments on message boards regarding our weapons. The major exception is where a person pretends to inform others that our products are not safe. I am the owner/operator of Veteran Arms, LLC and can attest to the safety of all of our products. It is our number one priority. As pointed out above, all of our weapons undergoing inspection and proofing - using the traditional method - at our facilities prior to sale. Our safety record is flawless. We have inspected and sold literally hundreds of weapons without a single failure or other incident.

BTW, although I am in no way affiliated with any other company, I feel I must point out that your charge of "bald faced lie" is totally erroneous. The United States presently has no standards, either legal or industry based, for the proofing or other testing of muzzleloading firearms. At the outset of our business, I attempted to have weapons submitted to the top Lab in the US for testing. Their response was that they would not accept muzzleloaders for testing as there were no accepted standards, nor even guidelines to use to perform the work. The muzzleloading community relies, as it always has, upon itself to use good judgement and perform its own tests free of government regulation.

Whether or not someone likes or dislikes our products is a matter of personal opinion, and like anyone else you are entitled to express yours. Please, however, do not pretend to label our products as unsafe. We have worked very hard to build a reputation for Safe, Reliable, and Affordable Reproduction Firearms within the reenacting community and have many satisfied customers.

For anyone wishing to learn more about proofing - what it is and is not, as well as what Veteran Arms, LLC weapons undergo, please see the following:

Veteran Arms, LLC Proofing

If you would like to learn more about our products and read responses to frequently asked questions regarding safety, authenticity, quality, etc., I invite you to read visit the discussion section of our facebook site, which can be accessed through our website at:
www.VeteranArms.com

Thank you.
Charles Misulia, Pres.
Veteran Arms, LLC www.VeteranArms.com

Your call.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer is going real slow this morning, so I am only posting one photo. :surrender:
rj0h39.jpg

Sparks well. Thinking of filling it with shot and using it on gophers. :hmm:

Like I said. If it is Indian, any marks will likely be on the underside of the barrel. I have one Indian fowler, and have seen two others, and that is where they were on all three guns.

I have the same pistol, but imported by MVTC with brass trim. The barrel is marked on the underside just ahead of the breech plug. The gun sparks very well and is great fun to shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one...like it very much...I shot 40 grains 3fff and never had a problem other than I wished the furniture was Iron and not shiney...This pistols are getting expensive as time roll by...so I would assume they are selling at a good rate !

Latest posts

Back