• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1757 Spain Infantry Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpa said:
My google search yesterday,bore up that this musket was very much influenced by French design.

Yes you're right.
The 1752 Spain Infantry Musket (wooden rammer) was patterned after the French Desing. But furniture was made in brass, not in steel. The 1757 had a steel rammer.

Most other muskets from Spain hat a different lock mechanism, some later ones too.

As far as we have been told in the 1980s, this repro musket should be patterend after an original ind arsenal of the spanisch army.
from what I have seen on the i-net and red about those repro muskets, they are very close to the original.

Ike

Artificer said:
Did the originals have those large screw heads sticking out from the buttplate? I don't know Spanish muskets very well at all, but I thought they used nails?

I DO know I would NOT want to fire that gun without good padding between the buttplate screw heads and my shoulder! :haha:

Gus
Actually, Gus, they did. You can't say the Spanish didn't have a sense of humor when it came to gun design. Some got to North America through issue to units in the West Indies, New Spain (Mexico) and South America. Others were sent directly to the U.S. colonial military by Spain when she and France decided to 'lend a helping hand'.

The large ringed frizzen screw top and grooved frizzen face are all Spanish typical design features found in muskets before,and after the M.1752. For political and national reasons, they went back to the miguelet (Catalan, "padilla"...take your pick) lock design in 1791, did a semi-standard flint with through lock hammer release in 1808 and finally adopted carbine and musket copying the French M.1777 An.IX in 1812. The Spanichs called all muskets "fusils", just to make it confusing and some of these M.1752 muskets were in the hands of Santa Anna's band of merry men as late as 1836. Just when you thought you had LLP, SLP, India Pattern and New Land Pattern figured out! Ole! :wink: :rotf:

I thank all of you who have tried here on the Spanish musket, Model 1757. Is a pity that now in Spain nobody manufactures replicas of this model, but they did Mendi and AMR were good weapons, original caliber 12 bore (0.72), and decent locks. Which manufactures Pedersoli is not very accurate and is now made in India is cheap but I guess it will not be a precise replica. Thank You.

Alden said:
'course someone else could just buy the Pedersoli 1757 Spanish Musket, LOL.

Now, let the games begin...

I dont have to say its not well made, someone else has made that point. For what its worth, they do make a much better Hawken style rifle than any of the other mass produced Hawkens out there.....

Back