• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1700's Fusil Musket identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a British fusil probably a personalized fusil. I’d say french and Indian war era. A couple of things tell me it’s British. 1. The frizzen spring final and 2. The thimble styles.
It seems too heavily embellished to be a private's musket. Way too much engraving, which leans toward an officer's piece or a nobleman's hunting piece. Note the engraving around the butt plate screws. A bayonet in case one runs into boar while on foot looking for the downed boar or a downed deer..., or for the officer if he runs into hostiles up-close-and-personal on the battlefield. The nose cap is not solid, but is a brass wrap with the butt of the bayonet resting on stock wood, which to me says 2nd quarter of the 18th century. That an officer of any of the major armies would have a custom piece with parts from many locations in Europe would not be an oddity.

LD

I want to thank everyone for their input, for now, it's back in it's warm blanket covering, back in the closet safe and sound as we move on to several other items we need to identify and catalog for our future estate/trust.

Sincerely,

Bill

Back