• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Makers Mark Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen a military firearm with so much decoration , even officers personal arms were not too ornate .
One thing is that military firearms were made to a standard and a price and a common caliber .
If this was a military firearm it would be sturdier , plainer , have a better made bayonet , probably larger caliber and there would be more than one

My speculation is that this fowling gun was modified to use the gun owned by original owner to meet the militia requirements of his community without incurring the expense of another gun and accoutrements.

My speculation is that this fowling gun was modified to use the gun owned by original owner to meet the militia requirements of his community without incurring the expense of another gun and accoutrements.
I absolutely agree , The barrel wall is too thin to have been made as a bayonet equipped Military firearm which would have had to take the weight of a body on the bayonet without bending , also the inletting of all the brass fittings would weaken the stock . It would be interesting to find out where in America it was first used . ie : trace back it's history .

I absolutely agree , The barrel wall is too thin to have been made as a bayonet equipped Military firearm which would have had to take the weight of a body on the bayonet without bending , also the inletting of all the brass fittings would weaken the stock . It would be interesting to find out where in America it was first used . ie : trace back it's history .

Any idea how I would go about tracing history? 20 years ago I hit a dead end when the person who owed me the money stopped taking calls and moved out of state.

An earlier post talked about taking it partially apart in search of a signature or other identifying marks, I personally would not be comfortable doing so, any ideas of someone in my neck of the woods (Greenville, SC) that would have the expertise and experience to do so without damaging it?

Thanks

Bill

It’s a European gun - and if there’s no name engraved on the barrel or lock, there will be no other markings that would identify the maker.
Very few guns outside of family legend (usually inaccurate) have a history of the hands they passed through, and when and where they were used.

Sporting guns had B nets some times trying to link it with military might be wishful thinking, Its nice likley early than late 18th it needs a good home thats all If its the one with a ball it wants getting out but not fireing & nothing drastic, Ime too far away to help any .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back