• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1640's English Doglock Pistol and a TRS Experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I purchased a position with gun builder Mike Brooks about a year and a half earlier (that I almost forgot about). A call to Mike confirmed I was on his List and he had only one other build ahead of me. Since I already own an English Fowler and Blunderbuss built by Mike, I did not even know what I wanted him to build? Then I remembered how I always wanted the early Doglock Pistol #627 from TRS. Not holding my breath, I called TRS and the Gentleman told me everything was in stock except the completed lock, but would check inventory again and call me back. Later that afternoon a nice lady called me and said they "found" a completed lock and could ship Friday. It was Wednesday and I purchased it over the phone. Well, two ADDITIONAL Fridays later they shipped. It arrived in two boxes. One containing the barrel, the other containing the rest of the Kit. The afternoon it arrived I was busy packing to leave town early the next morning. So I inspected the Kit for less than three minutes (not smart) before re-boxing everything and had my Brother ship it to Mike the next morning. A while later I recieved a call from Mike making me aware of some issues. 1) The right side octagon barrel inlet in the stock had a slight machine error and leave a very slight gap between the barrel and stock. But Mike thought he could make it work in view of the heavy antique finish I requested. (It did work. Have to look real close to tell). 2) The barrel is advertised in the TRS catalog as a .54 caliber (I assumed smooth bore for a 1640 pistol). Mike told me the barrel was the correct size, but it was a .50 caliber RIFLED barrel??? 3) Then, later on Mike broke the top jaw screw trying to take the (band sawed no less) flint out of the jaws :shocked2: Why TRS screwed it down so tight is a mystery. I thought about trying to resolve these issues with TRS, but figured this is the type of thing that would drag on for weeks/months with TRS. So, I told Mike to go ahead and build the gun. Mike found a temporary screw and I would deal with that later with TRS. Well, the gun finished out GREAT!!! I was very happy with the results. Now to resolve the top jaw screw. Sent an email to TRS explaing the situation. I received an email back saying they would send a new top screw out THAT DAY. Well, a month later I received it. The screw diameter too large and the wrong thread size. :confused: :cursing: So, I used the temporary screw Mike provided and sent back both advising them of the situation. Two weeks later, I just now received the correct top screw and the pistol is complete. Purchasing from TRS is quite an adventure, requiring lots of patience surfing through the mysteries. :surrender: Anyway, here are some photos. Hope you enjoy. Rick.
An interesting footnote: I also own a TRS #812 1690 French Calvery Pistol that I purchased complete, second hand. It too has a .50 caliber (as advertised) barrel - but also RIFLED. Strange. :confused:
EnglishDoglockPistol001Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol002Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol003Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol004Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol008Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol005Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol007Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol009Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol006Medium.jpg

EnglishDoglockPistol010Medium.jpg

This last phot includes a Pistol "Bucket: converted for shoulder carry, made by T.C.Albert. Flap is bear fur. The Flask is original staghorn made in Nurenburg between 1590 and 1600. Thought they all looked good next to each other. :grin:

Rick, forgive my ignorance, but when you say that you "purchased a position" with Mike Brooks, what does that mean? Thanks.

Hi Wahk. Glad you like the pics. Yes, I'm real happy with the results. Mike does great work. His "Antique" finish is hard to beat.
Purchase Position: If you want Mike to build you a gun, he requests a small deposit to add you to his list. Last I spoke with him he said he was about a year and a half out. But you want to confirm that with him. Thanks again for the kind comments. Rick.

Hi Bill. YES!! Mike sure does make great looking guns.
TRS: I've been told by a very reliable source that there will be some big changes - for the better - anounced next year. Not at liberty to say anything yet, but you will hear soon. It's very interesting. Rick.

That is very nice looking. The whole set up is just cool.

In other news, HOLY manure!!!! you ordered and actually received something from TRS without the wait being measured in years? Does this signal the zombpacolypse?

it took me about a month to just get a call back so I could order my castings. In June or so they were "doing a batch of castings at the end of the month"

Back