• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12ga. New Englander Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I have been the proud owner of a T/C New Englander with both .50cal. and 12ga. barrels for a year or so and I used it to bag both my gobblers last spring. I just found another 12ga. barrel for sale, so I jumped on it (it seems they are a rare find!).

Both barrels are straight cylinder choke. I am thinking about getting the "extra" barrel threaded for Hastings chokes, to give me a little more edge on my turkey hunts. What do you guys think of that idea? Does anyone here have experience with getting a New Englander barrel threaded for chokes?

Just sold one that had screw-ins from the factory. I think the newer ones came that way, my early one was fixed cylinder. The full choke screw in really barked my fingers up starting the wads, and it never shot that well. I'd rather play with the cylinder choke and the load components to tighten-up the pattern....

I have one with screw in choke tubes. I use an open choke tube to load and a extra full that came with the gun to hunt turkeys. I am not happy with my performance yet but still working on it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Can't get the .50 cal to shot very good either with PRB. Thinking about getting rid of both for something with better performance!

I cant get the darn thing to pattern very well, works fine for rabbits but wont hunt turkeys with it as of yet. I have tried all the choke tubes and various loads, any help on loads would be appreciated.

While threaded choke tubes might be more of a problem for some loadings, if you use extended chokes, they can be unscrewed with bare hands easily enough.
I remember someone saying that you can use 13 gauge cushion wads to make loading easier with a 12 gauge choked barrel, but since I've never tried it, I don't know what the choke limitations might be .
I found that using regular plastic shotgun wads with wadding placed between it and the powder tightened up the shot groups. I was using Pyrodex and none of the plastic melted, so it might be something worth considering. :hatsoff:

You can extend you pattern substantially with plastic, or stiff paper, or glued cardboard cups, much as modern day shot shells.
Try over powder card, shot cushion, shot cup, shot and finally card.
By using shot cups not slit on the sides, you can really extend your reach.
Best Regards

Old Ford

I have the T/C 12 gauge and get a very nice even pattern at 30yds.
80gr Pyrodex
2 lubricated felt wads
1 and 1/2 ounces #5 shot
1 felt wad
I use a screw in extended choke, it is a .660 Primos Tightwad. $20. Same choke that fits Browing Invector, Mossburg 500, and Winchester.
Billy

Well the only thing I do that isnt exactly like your load is the Primos choke, will try that.
Thanks

This forum is great!

Hope it works for you. I had good luck with a Primos for my Rem.870 20 gauge so I got one for the ML and it worked well. I like you had tried several different loads including plastic shot cups and they didn't work. This load gave me 30 hits in the 3 in. circle I was shooting at 30 yds.
Billy

I have a 12 ga. side lock muzzleloader (T/C Black Mountain Magnum) and have been playing with some different loads, etc. to get the best performance for turkey hunting. I am still not satisfied with my results (probably never will be). My best pattern is a result of 85grains of FFg black powder with 1/8th inch hard over the power card followed by two lubed ox-yoke wads, shot cup with 1 1/2 grains of #5's followed by two thin over the shot cards. Also, I am using a T/C XFL Turkey Choke Tube. I am getting approximately 6-8 pellets in a turkey's kill zone at 40 yards. Just curious if anyone else has this gun, it is very similar IMO to a New Englander 12 ga.? What are some of your loads and results? Anybody have any other recommendations that might improve my results? Thanks.

If you decide to sell the 12 gauge barrel, please let me know. I've been looking to add a shotgun barrel to my .50 cal. New Englander.

--Ian

Back