• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 gauge powder and shot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwoods73

Pilgrim
Reaction score
what would be the largest powder load and shot load for cva double barrel. will be using it for turkey hunting also what is a good squirrel hunting load. the shot cups plastic ,or ticking cups? iam a new to this and all information will be appreciated.

cwoods,
I'm sure it is far from the max load for a 12 ga but I get terrific patterns with 1 1/8 oz of #6 and 3 drams (+/- 81 grains) of FFG. One over powder card and 2 over shot cards, no cushion wad.
Mark

You can get pretty decent results just using "square" loads. Shot and powder in equal volume up to about 1 1/4 oz of shot in 12 ga.

The guns and shooting/muzzleloading forum on castboolits.gunloads.com has "The Muzzleloading Shotgun" by V.M. Starr in the sticky section at the top of the forum. He was an outstanding muzzy gunsmith and shooter from the middle of the 20th cent, and well worth reading. His load recommendations can be a bit heavier than most current manufacturers, but other than that it is great.

Based on his work, I just use 2 nitro card wads over the powder, bare shot, and an overshot wad and get great results in my 8-bore.

Another GREAT source of info is www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a CVA Dbl. Shotgun in 12 gauge. No choke in either barrel.

I found that I get my best performances using 2 3/4 drams( 75 grains) of 2Fg Goex Black Powder, and either a 1 1/8 oz load of #8 shot for Doves, or 1 1/4 oz. of shot for other upland game.

I load now using only OS cards, putting 3 cards on top of the powder, instead of one OP wad; then the shot load, and followed by 2 OS cards. All the cards have off-center holes poked into them using an awl, and I place the cards in the barrel so that the holes are 180 degrees opposite of each other. This lets air escape, but not small shot. I lube the barrel BEFORE loading the powder charge down the barrel, using a greased cleaning patch. The lube has been Young Country 101, but I am about out of it, and will switch to using Wonderlube. The lubing of the bore keeps the residue soft, but also stops lead streaks from being rubbed on the bore by the outer pellets. The grease in turns seems to reduce, if not eliminate, the flattening of the sides of those outside pellets, so that I get more uniform patterns, shot after shot.

The 1 1/8 oz- 75 grains of FFg powder load is a "Square load" combination- that is, the same volume of powder happens to also produce that volume of shot. My 1 1/4 oz of #5 shot however, is NOT A SQUARE load, as there is more shot by volume than powder by volume.

HOWEVER, this is the LONG RANGE load used by commercial duck hunters back in the 1870-'80's to kill ducks on the Illinois river near Peoria, out to 50 yards. I have taken pheasants out of the air out to a paced off, and witnessed, 33 yds with this load using my CVA shotgun. The heavy pellet, and its retained pellet energy at that distance is the key to success.

BP cannot produce the kinds of velocities we get using smokeless powder in modern shotgun loads. So, you have to shorten the maximum range at which to expect to kill game when using BP, and deal with the lack of choke in these guns when planning on how much shot to load.

I found in my load development that more (black)powder is not the answer- as it often is using Smokeless powder, BTW. In fact, I got better performance with my gun when I reduced the powder charge from 3 drams to 2 3/4 drams. :hmm: By better performance, I am judging this by smaller pattern diameters, fewer flyers outside the circumference, and more uniform dispersal of the shot within the circle of the pattern. Large Holes in a pattern, whether in the center( donut holes) or elsewhere indicate that something is NOT right with the load you are shooting. I got rid of holes by lubing the bore, and by stopping trying to use cushion wads.

CAUTION: Other members experiences surely differ from my own.

Back