• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 nipple to 209 primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer 756

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was talking to some shooters that on can convert a #11 nipple to a nipple that is for 209 primers. Does any one know whom makes conversion nipples. Reason for covertion is to be able to shoot 209 powder

You are planning to change from the easy to use system of placing a #11 cap on a nipple for effective firing of most black powder and black powder substitutes to a system that uses expensive 209 primers to ignite a difficult to ignite and very expensive 209 Blackthorn powder. All this to be able to use a primer and powder that offer no real performance advantage to black powder.

Yes, the conversion nipple exists. Midsouth USA? Searches on the forum will locate threads on the conversion and efficacy of use.

The only advantage of that conversion is to use up a supply of 209 primers and powder and one lives where #11 caps and black powder or suitable substitutes are unavailable for a very extended period of time.

Last edited:
Mag Spark makes conversions, and I had one. Some years back when percussion caps were harder to find and more $ than 209s, I tried one on a TC Grey Hawk. It worked, and even worked with BH209, but I only had it as a reserve. That said, if I had a supply of hard to ignite substitutes and 209s, it was viable. It seemed safe enough on TC's patent breech, but I don't think I would trust one on a drum.

Also conversion #11 to use small pistol/rifle primer. unscrew # 11 nipple. Screw this in.

Attachments

• Nipple primer 001.JPG
    Nipple primer 001.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 31
I bought a mag spark when I had shotshell primers and no caps. Luckily I got some caps and never had to use it. You have to unscrew it to place a primer and then unscrew it to remove the primer. Not exactly an arrangement for recreational shooting.

Refinishing JBMR barrel ..... Have only 209 primers.....only need a few #11s . Any one know, where in Atl area to find them?

Also conversion #11 to use small pistol/rifle primer. unscrew # 11 nipple. Screw this in.
Wondering if anyone has a link they could share, if they have a minute, for one of these pieces of equipment ,
Planning on putting it on a Thompson hawken model.
I'd appreciate it ,
for whatever that's worth

Wondering if anyone has a link they could share, if they have a minute, for one of these pieces of equipment ,
Planning on putting it on a Thompson hawken model.
I'd appreciate it ,
for whatever that's worth
Folks have been using small pistol primers with tubing to hold the primer on the nipple for some time. Pretty straight forward if you size the tubing correctly. You could search for videos on YouTube. Personally found it easier and less expensive to stock up on percussion caps when I find them.

I bought a mag spark when I had shotshell primers and no caps. Luckily I got some caps and never had to use it. You have to unscrew it to place a primer and then unscrew it to remove the primer. Not exactly an arrangement for recreational shooting.
Yep, MagSpark is an excellent Zippo for still/blind hunting, but fumbling with the fine thread firing-pin cap is a torture all it's own. Makes one really careful with the "first" shot! They do work quite well at lighting the fire.

Folks have been using small pistol primers with tubing to hold the primer on the nipple for some time. Pretty straight forward if you size the tubing correctly. You could search for videos on YouTube. Personally found it easier and less expensive to stock up on percussion caps when I find them.
1/4" aquarium air line tubing works fine. Can even get 'em to cycle around the cylinder on my Uberti made 1858.

But unable to make 'em go pop on any of the 1858 cylinders, either of the 2 CVA rifles I just sold, or either of the new-to-me TC rifles I just got.

So yeah... I'd be interested in a "proper" nipple to use to go to 209 and small rifle/pistol or even large rifle or large pistol. Heck tell me that I can use a 22lr with the bullet pulled on some companies nipple and I'll check it out. If I can't make 'em go boom, why bother having them at all? (and yeah... a flint lock is on my list for the future... one day...)

Latest posts

Back