• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

209 for #11 cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing about Mag Sparks is it is a one-shot deal, we all bought them in the 70s and found you have to put the primer in the device, fire the gun and then try to dig the spent primer out of the holder with the blade of a sharp knife, the primer won't come out on its own.

I don't know if this small pistol primer adapter will work for you but it looks promising, I haven't tried it.

That's true about being a one shot. But its almost a sure ignition and with #11's being difficult to find, I'd rather be able to shoot and I'm more than willing to deal with a little inconvenience in prying the cap out. The only concern I'd have is to make sure you don't lose the primer cap. Maybe have a spare top in your pouch

OP, the short answer is no. That is assuming a side hammer gun. The 209 is center fire, very powerful, and the hammer does not have a firing pin. Even if you rigged up something the primer would be ejected in your face.

I have a bunch of 209 caps for reloading the 209 battery cup assembly. They look like percussion caps. However, they are way to powerful to be used as percussion caps. They are slightly smaller than percussion caps. Out of curiosity I modified a nipple to work. I made a heck of a loud bang and the cap fragmented into tiny pieces. Another aspect is that the priming compound is exposed. Seating the cap may fire it and shoot the fragment into your thumb. I would not shoot those on a dare.

Some guys are making caps. I used to also. The Forester Tap-O-Cap device or similar will make the cap shells out of pop can material. You can then cut out kids roll caps with a 4mm hole punch. Then poke two or three of the toy cap centers into your shell.

Some are getting kits to make small batches of priming compound. I have no experience. It makes me nervous enough to never try it. Priming compound is very powerful stuff.

Or, get a good flintlock!

If you can find the right Mag-Spark for your weapon your in like Flint, :) I have them & the old Accra-shot that uses the small pistol & rifle primers. Yup the cap shortage is a bummer but this set-up works well i have no troubles using them.

Assuming your rifle is a sidelock you can get a replacement nipple for musket caps. Those are available online from several vendors. I have 1,000 on order from Grafs.

The thing about Mag Sparks is it is a one-shot deal, we all bought them in the 70s and found you have to put the primer in the device, fire the gun and then try to dig the spent primer out of the holder with the blade of a sharp knife, the primer won't come out on its own.

I don't know if this small pistol primer adapter will work for you but it looks promising, I haven't tried it.

Can't remove the primer?
Did you try putting the muzzle in your mouth and blowing real hard?

Screenshot_20240301-150936~2.png

Back