• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10x10 Pyramid - Big Enough??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
You fellas that own 10x10 pyramids, are they big enough for say two skinners and little bit of gear?
I'm leaning towards a Panther with the tipi door, fly and floor. This would be for myself and my 9 year old son but plan to use this for many years to come and I'm concerned about outgrowing it too soon. I think a 12x12 might be a little big for us just by marking out dimensions on the ground with our gear.

Thanks and I owe you a cup.

-turtle-

I had one, it was my first tent. The disadvantages are that they are hot, since you only have one door and the doors leak during a rain because they are on a slant. They are really easy to set up, but the doors are a pain since you have to squat down to get through them. I finally sold my pyramid and I now have two wedges.

I recommend that you buy a smaller wedge instead of a pyramid. In hot weather you can open both ends. The tent doors are full height and they don't leak.

Many Klatch

Ten by ten looks OK when you just look at the floor space but you need to realize that is not the actual usable space. The slope of the walls makes the interior space very limited, you can stand upright only in the center and there you have the pole. I had a 15x15 and that was just right for two people with a wood stove.

Good points and we actually put an 8' pole in the center to get a feel for how the slant of the walls will impact usable space. It's one of those deals where I want to buy it once but bigger than a 10x10 I have concerns about the weight of it. I guess maybe buy bigger to make sure you have enough room and deal with the weight of it.

-turle-

if i may ask.. why a pyramid? with two of you, a wedge,like Many said, would be roomier and easy to set up..and a 8x10 mini wall would solve everything,,cause ya know yer boys gonna wanta bring a friend! jus a thought..

Get a 12x12 and use 2 poles on the outside, easy to set up and easier to tighten up the sides as the canvas starts to sag. The door won't leak any more than a teepee door but if that bothers you get a fly over the door.

With any tent that does not have side walls, you will loose close to 2 feet of usable space along the walls, and maybe more if you have cots, tables, chairs, or camp chests. That means if you have a 10X10 pyramid, you will have about 6 square feet of usable floor space, and only one place in the entire tent that you can stand upright. And if there are two or three people trying to stand up at the same time, ya gotta use your elbows to make room.

And, if you have a single pole, ya gotta work around the pole. And I can tell you from experience that that #@$%^$^&$%* pole can be a real PITA to work around.

AS recommended by others, a short wall tent is appropriate for nearly every time period. The wall tent has much more usable room and is allot more comfortable. IMHO, a good second choice might be 9X9 wedge with a 7' peak.

My 11 year old son and I have been using a 10x10 pyramid for a few years now, we've even brought one of his friends along with us. So far it's worked just fine for us, but the I really don't spend too much time in there, just use it primarily for sleeping. I'm in the "smaller is better" crowd. If I can't get it all into my toyota tercel, it doesn't come along. This helps me fight the inevitable "camp creep".
The way I look at it, if it wouldn't fit on 2 pack horses, it should stay at home. But then again, my wife doesn't camp with us- then I'd need table and chairs, camp kitchen, cots etc...

I have spent many a night in a 8x8 pyramid tent with another person and gear and found it adequate. I have a 12x12 and it is great for 2 on cots plus a wood heating stove for elk hunting, so would guess a 10x10 would be fine.
Othern

I agree with Coyote Joe. We have a Panther 15X15 Tall Boy with two tipi doors. I haven't had a problem with leaks when the doors are tied down and there is plenty of room for the gear and a stove.

Hello- I've been shooting/reenacting (F&I, Rev)w/ my wife & son for 4 years and here is what I recommend... Get the large wedge (10Wx12Lx7H) from Crazy Crow (don't worry, it's sunfodger canvas). It'll have 2 doors for venting and can be set up with only two poles (minus a ridge... if you don't want) and guild ropes. This is PC for almost any period and has served us very well over the years and kept us dry in the rain and shaded in the sun. If you are want to do it on the cheap (and lighter) get a 12x12 canvas lean- to and you can open it up (3 6ft poles) during the day and drop the side two to close it up at night... Just my 2 cents worth.

I have a 10x10 that I love. I bought mine with a fly, so I have no rain coming in the door, and a small amount of shade to sit in.

I travel with my son or my son-in-law. Both adults. Two adults, bedding, shooting box, multiple firearms ice chest, all goes inside with lots of room.
I use a lantern hanger on the pole to hang shooting bags or clothing in the day time. A lantern at night.

Again, you're only sleeping there. No room for the dining room table.

Easiest tent in the world to set up.

Panter even has an option of loops on the top, so you can even forget the pole and hang it from an overhanging tree branch if desired.

Dane - Did you go with a panther? Also, if you have a stove hole, where did you have it installed, side or back.

Turtle - My vote would be for a 12'x12'pyrmaid, tall boy, two tipi doors, peak loops to rig up with two outside poles, stove hole and a removable floor. You can purchase a floor and an awning down the road.You might want to ck out Red-Hawk. I have owned both Panther & Red-Hawk and I perfer Red-hawks quality. Good luck in your search. Strawstalker, NM Territory

The one thing I'm concerned with on Red Hawk is that their fly is sewn to the tent, so in the event you don't want it (maybe high winds) you roll it up and it ties on the front of the pyramid. My concern would be the weight of all that canvas in a roll on the front of the tent.

-turtle-

Back