• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10-28 and 12-28 Screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hardware stores don't have any, and even the specialty hardware store here in town that is the go-to when the others don't have it, don't have any either.

Is there a source for these odd ball screws? 10-24, 10-32, 12-24 and 12-32 are available but not 28 tpi. I finally decided the only solution is to make my own. After running into nothing but dead ends, I figured if I DID find some, they'd probably be prohibitively expensive.

I know it's near impossible finding slotted pan heads (only phillips) so have to modify bolts, but in this case, I can't even find 10 or 12-28 bolts to modify.

Am I wrong? Is there a source for these things?

Hardware stores don't have any, and even the specialty hardware store here in town that is the go-to when the others don't have it, don't have any either.

Is there a source for these odd ball screws? 10-24, 10-32, 12-24 and 12-32 are available but not 28 tpi. I finally decided the only solution is to make my own. After running into nothing but dead ends, I figured if I DID find some, they'd probably be prohibitively expensive.

I know it's near impossible finding slotted pan heads (only phillips) so have to modify bolts, but in this case, I can't even find 10 or 12-28 bolts to modify.

Am I wrong? Is there a source for these things?
I don't have any problem finding those size screws. Locally. If I really need a specific one you can go to Brownells, eBay ,McMaster Care.

Track of the Wolf has blank lock and tang bolts in #10 size, so you can cut the thread yourself. I don't see any #12 blanks on their website, though. Brownells has blank screw kits in various sizes, including #10 and #12, if you have the dies to cut your own threads.

Notchy Bob

Swab - thank you! You're right - that is the name for a slotted pan head. :)

Bill - ebay has a few, but they're too short and five or six bucks each. McMaster Carr didn't have any that I can find. And Brownells wants to send me text messages (forget THAT!) and routes me directly to that screen, so I can't get anywhere with them on the web.

Bob - You know, it really doesn't make any sense, once I've got the dies, to buy blanks at four bucks a pop - plus shipping. Thankfully I've got a lathe and even a little HF that I recently bought a set of change gears for. If I take some time to figure it all out, I could cut threads that way. It's actually fairly quick turning down the head of a bolt, turning down the shank, and cutting a half inch of threads. Cutting the slot is easy, though it's taken a few times to figure out how to get it centered. Off, even just a little bit, is noticeable. And blueing - I've got that down! They come out like the Uberti screws - really black and shiny - and only takes a few minutes.

24 and 32 threads/inch isn't a problem - 28 is. It's evidently an oddball size and not common at all. The previous owner of this rifle made the screws himself - and now I know why. Did an ok job, too, except the slots are off center (by quite a bit in some cases) so that's one of the things I'll be cleaning up. So far, you guys are confirming what I pretty much suspected - getting what I want is going to be a DIY affair.

Have you looked for socket head screws (Allen wrench required)? Often you can find them without full threads. A little welding on the head if you need the height, smooth out with a drill and file and cut your slot. It's worked for me in the past.

Have you looked for socket head screws (Allen wrench required)? Often you can find them without full threads. A little welding on the head if you need the height, smooth out with a drill and file and cut your slot. It's worked for me in the past.
Good suggestion, Swab! I've done that in the past with 10-32 allen bolts. Let's see if I can find them in 10 or 12-28.

track of the wolf has them. also muzzle loader builders supply.
also you can find crossovers with metric. unftap.gifunctap.gif

Why do you need a 10 and 12/28?
Have you tried BSW?
I mean honest, how do you have a 10-28 and a 12-28 need? What application?
Your only saying you can't get them.

If you go on AliExpress and type in custom CNC machining, you can send them a CAD file (or very specific technical drawing) and they will make the part for you, and they are surprisingly inexpensive for small stuff like screws.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, most of them had hex heads, but these are slotted.

(10 Pcs) 12-28 X 3/4 Fillister Head Screws Brass Pre 1940 Thread #12/28 28 Tpi Amazon.com

Latest posts

Back