• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

working up load for Rem 58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If those are the tubes from Winchester Sutler you'll want to do something about the static. Mine held powder in them.

Someone has mentioned rubbing them with a drier sheet, and someone else washed theirs.

rodwha said:
If those are the tubes from Winchester Sutler you'll want to do something about the static. Mine held powder in them.

Someone has mentioned rubbing them with a drier sheet, and someone else washed theirs.

For my plastic reloading stuff I will either spray with Static Guard and wipe down or spray with static guard and let dry for a day. I'll have to test the tubes I ordered for static. Good reminder.

Melnic said:
Richard Eames said:
Not sure how ball diameter could affect velocity.

Maybe Alan will help, he has more experience than I do.

I'm just at Noob at C&B but I do reload for my pistols and rifles. One thing I thought about is with say a .457 ball, you shave more lead ring off and then the ball will have a longer flat spot around the circumference. I would expect there to be more ball in contact with the rifling and thus change "something" with the way it acts in the barrel with how soon it leaves the barrel,how much powder is burnt and such.
I would expect it to act differently than a .451 ball that slices a tiny ring. I can now see how Chamber diameter and bore characteristics for Lands and groove diameters comes into play. Interesting suggestions.
I am not trying to be a match shooter, but I'd like the pistol to be more accurate than my shooting so I can work on my shooting. I'd be happy with 5 shots all in the black at a 3" circle @ 25 feet offhand

See thats where people get confused i feel.
Lets say the bore of most reproduction guns is .454 then the idea is to use a .454 ball? well the problem is the chamber is .451 so as you ram the ball down and it shaves off that little ring you just made the .454 ball a .451 but the bore is still .454 so pressure is escaping causing accuracy problems.

So whats next? to use a .457 ball! but the chamber STILL shaves the ball down to .451 its just shaved off even MORE lead then it did with the .454 ball.

The only solution is to ream the cylinder to .454 and use a .457 ball. Your talking the difference of .451 to .454 wich isnt much but its enough that it helps alot!

What you should do is slug the barrel first because not all guns have this issue. Some guns that have been shot alot have natural wear and just get good over time. But your talking ALOT of shooting to get it to this point.

Back