• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are Some BP Revolvers Just Not Reasonably Accurate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure wish someone made a slip on band or clamp on like this! I have an 1861 and 1866 that both need front sight offsets of 0.05/06. Weird that both are the same. I’m beginning to wonder if that was intentional for some reason (like bullet drift).
Well spin drift is not noticeable at hand gun ranges but one can detect it and needs to start compensating while mid and long range shooting starting about 5-600 yards.
I generally like to mill cut dovetail slots and make new front blades from bar stock for my revolvers and some rifle barrels unless reproducing original designs as on the Trapdoor barrel.
Off set front blades is just an easy option I discovered that works and looks better for some applications.
Here's a couple dove tail mounts I made and installed on a 62 and horse pistol that works pretty good !

Attachments

• IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well spin drift is not noticeable at hand gun ranges but one can detect it and needs to start compensating while mid and long range shooting starting about 5-600 yards.
I generally like to mill cut dovetail slots and make new front blades from bar stock for my revolvers and some rifle barrels unless reproducing original designs as on the Trapdoor barrel.
Off set front blades is just an easy option I discovered that works and looks better for some applications.
Here's a couple dove tail mounts I made and installed on a 62 and horse pistol that works pretty good !
Those are just dandies. I bet that Police model is a good grouse and rabbit gun!

They are but I don't see shooting 500-600 yards with a muzzle loader. I might try it with the 6.5 Lapua or the 7.5 Swiss Target guns if I could get a range that allowed that. I shot at 300 meters some, challenging enough with 06 and the first 7.5 Swiss (which never did shoot consistently, the 2nd barrel is sub 1/2 MOA with the right loads and on a good day)

They are but I don't see shooting 500-600 yards with a muzzle loader. I might try it with the 6.5 Lapua or the 7.5 Swiss Target guns if I could get a range that allowed that. I shot at 300 meters some, challenging enough with 06 and the first 7.5 Swiss (which never did shoot consistently, the 2nd barrel is sub 1/2 MOA with the right loads and on a good day)
About two decades ago I was in a midrange buffalo rifle club and my rifle was a match single shot in 45-70 I put together and shot my best score ever at 600 yards using the 480 grain, home cast, lead Schmitzer bullet by Lyman. I did lap the mold out to cast nearly perfectly round bullets so it was accurate in the extreme. This was a high power solstice shoot in the evening with flat light and no wind conditions. I shot a 99-4x out of a possible 100-10 x and beat all the high power boys that evening with their top of the line match rifles who before the match insisted us BP buffalo gun guys (stinky shooters as they quipped) go to the far end of the range so our smoke wouldn't mess them up.
They didn't have a whole lot to say at the match end when the scores were tallied and the stinky guys did very well with black powder and lead bullets. I didn't rub it in or even say a word but the silence was defining when the winners were announced!
That was pure fun not having to say a word !!
Never shot as well again but did rack up a regional win a couple of times with that gun and load.
I did have to dial in some spin drift correction regularly at 600 yards, especially with right to left wind deflection. This using Soule rear aperture sights and front aperture globe sights which means double aperture sighting.

Latest posts

Back