• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

paper cartridges for my different revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been planning to make my first paper cartridges for my revolvers, but have questions about the interchangability between the guns. My pistols are an 1851 Navy, a brass framed 1860 Army Colt, and two Remingtons. All are .44 caliber. I've had the Colt 1860 since 1973. Since it has the brass frame I have always shot a light load of 20g of FFF Goex with .451 round balls and get a ring shaved off when loading, consistently. I have bought & used .457 round balls in my first Remington. I have not yet shot the 2nd Remington or the 1851 Navy. I know all except the brass 1860 would safely handle a bit more powder than 20 grains, but if my accuracy will be as good with 20g in the others I'm fine with that. No hunting will be done, except if I get a chance at a coyote. If I know that I decide to try for a pig I can load with loose powder & ball for that situation. What I'm getting at is, if satisfied with the light charge, what about the difference in the recommended ball diameter(s)? I prefer to continue to use round balls in all the pistols. I will not be shooting the 1860 very often so I suppose I should continue to load it, on the rare occasions when I do shoot it, with loose powder & balls.
Bottom line question is... Can I make one size paper cartridge that will be safe and accurate in all four guns? What size ball should I use? Thanks.

Last edited:
454 is kinda the "gold standard" in most Italian repos, in my opinion. 20 to 25 gr should fit in all without a problem. Then if you're like me, you start making special paper cartridges for certain guns that load with the shortest cylinder to barrel jump and, and, and start falling down the rabbit hole. Just have fun.👍

454 is kinda the "gold standard" in most Italian repos, in my opinion. 20 to 25 gr should fit in all without a problem. Then if you're like me, you start making special paper cartridges for certain guns that load with the shortest cylinder to barrel jump and, and, and start falling down the rabbit hole. Just have fun.👍
So if I make up my paper cartridges using 20g of FFF and .454 round balls I should be able to use them in all four of my current revolvers? Good. Then I suppose I'll be making more wfen I find the .31 and the .36 I want.

So if I make up my paper cartridges using 20g of FFF and .454 round balls I should be able to use them in all four of my current revolvers? Good. Then I suppose I'll be making more wfen I find the .31 and the .36 I want.
You should have no problem. Most of the 44 caliber paper cartridge kits are setup for conicals and 26 to 28 gr powder. That should fit in any of the standard 44’s. Making them with a round ball would be even easier to load since the are smaller and lighter than the conicals. 209-250gr for conical around 140gr for roundball.

Bottom line question is... Can I make one size paper cartridge that will be safe and accurate in all four guns? What size ball should I use? Thanks.
I've been playing with paper cartridges for my cap 'n ball revolvers, and my answer to your questions are: yes, same cartridge size for all, and same ball (or conical) you normally use, and further (you didn't ask) same powder load.

I've found that the paper used and the fabrication technique are the two crucial factors. These factors are what are responsible for the two potential downsides to paper cartridges: 1) residue paper in the chamber, and 2) failure to ignite.

If you watch paper cartridge videos, you'll find that for every video there's something different.

Try them all, experiment and have fun learning and shooting!!

WRT to above load and ball reccos, my standard ball and load for .44 cal is .454 and 25 gr 3F.

All in 44 with 20gr will work fine. 36 can be a bit different depending on model. Never made 31 paper cartridges but in my experience the smaller you go with paper, the more tidious it gets. Tried paper patching .172 bullets for.177 years ago, wasn't fun😒

I have .44 remington and Colt, but find that the colt takes a slightly 'shorter' cartridge. Incidentally, I use a 15 grain powder charge which to me is perfectly adequate for shooting at paper over 25 yards. With 15 grains of powder and an identical measure of semolina, the cartridge works fine in the Remington, but seems a bit over large in the Colt, as I seem to have to do a lot of extra ramming. Thus, I have found that the best 'universal' cartridge for me is 15 grains powder and 12 grains semolina. In what ever combination you choose, overall a 27 grain cartridge.

I have not shot or made cartridge cartridges for 40 years.

I've been planning to make my first paper cartridges for my new revolver. My revolver is a 1851 Colt Navy Series gun, .36 caliber, steel framed. I would be satisfied with a medium charge, what is the recommended ball diameter(s)? I prefer to continue to use round balls in the pistol.
The gun is at Mike Brackett's shop for all his services offered.
Bottom line question is... Can I make one size paper cartridge that will be safe and accurate in this gun? What size ball should I use?
Where do I start: supplies, sources, information, etc.

Thanks.

Bottom line question is... Can I make one size paper cartridge that will be safe and accurate in this gun? What size ball should I use?
Where do I start: supplies, sources, information, etc.
Yes, of course. I responded to your other question in another thread, and here I'm attaching Pedersoli's powder loading instructions, which you can use as a guide to your loads and balls specs. I also have an 1851 Colt Navy, and it's probably my favorite cap 'n ball revolver. Have fun rolling and shooting!!

Attachments

• Pedersoli Powder Loads.pdf
    517.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, of course. I responded to your other question in another thread, and here I'm attaching Pedersoli's powder loading instructions, which you can use as a guide to your loads and balls specs. I also have an 1851 Colt Navy, and it's probably my favorite cap 'n ball revolver. Have fun rolling and shooting!!
Thank you ...

I use one of Dustin's kits, I ordered one with both 36 and 44. With the built in powder measurer, using 3F, it is 17 grains. My 36 Navy shoots better than I can with them.

I am always interested in load data. I would appreciate it if it gets referenced as to what powder mfg as well as converted to weight.

My Brass Measure does not agree with anything as a standard but once I know what it is dispensing on a given powder I can figure out what setting matches that.

Why are there 2 different sizes?
There aren't two different sizes.

I suggest you watch some videos on YouTube. This is one from the same website for which I posted the template link:

There are many more. The method is more general than specific, as is the template size.

Hopefully the videos make the method more clear.

Back