• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1858 Remington questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure wish I could get DSL where we are; took almost 25 minutes to download that clip. Was worth it tho. Emery

In regards to the conversion cylinder. I don't have one yet but it's on my to-do list. It's one way of flying under the radar, since most states (like Mich) don't require registration of a flint or C&B pistol. And if you price out a compareable sized cartridge revolver you would find that they price out about the same. Plus you kinda get 2 pistols in 1.

Got 2 uberti's with the R&D cylinders, put the vti light springs in them shoot great, but wont bust caps in the cap & ball cylinders, but cant bring myself to change them, they shoot so good. I shoot scholfield brass & loads in them . One thing the older R&D cylinders wont chamber scholfield brass the new R&D cylinders do. I had to file the rim down on my brass to make them work in both.

Poor Private said:
... since most states (like Mich) don't require registration of a flint or C&B pistol...

Nope. Be careful here, you could get in some real trouble quick.

Michigan does not require registration of "curios and relics" which includes weapons designed to fire other than cased ammunition. EXCEPT if you possess the means to load and fire the weapon. If you have a .44 cal 1860 Army AND some .451 round balls AND come percussion caps AND some black powder or black powder substitute, then you possess a weapon and the means to use it. Michigan then requires that you obtain a purchase permit prior to purchasing the gun and submit the gun and the completed permit to your local authorities for a "safety inspection". Failure to do so constitutes a gun law violation with all the baggage that comes with that.

The purchase permit is not required if you possess a CPL, but in that case you must execute a Pistol Purchase Record form when buying the gun and the "safety inspection" is still required.

Strictly speaking, the "safety inspection" and purchase permit do not constitute "registration". Howver, the gun description and serial number are recorded along with your name and address and kept in a state database. If that's not effectively "registration", I don't know what is.

The "new" law signed into affect in 2004 Public Acts 99-101, eliminates the requirement for a permit to purchase or safety inspection of antique pistols or modern replicas of Black Powder Pistols. A person will still have to be processed through th NIC's check but no further registration is required. This legistation will now match Michigan law to Federal law.
This was published in the Great Lakes Shooting Sports Association" monthly periodical Volume One/Issue Two/2004.
Also see HB5427,HB5428,and HB5429.
Signed by believe it or not our current Governor.

Just thought I would add a few bits of info.
I have an R&D cylinder I fired 10 shots out of today.
It worked great. The cases were stuck but not so bad that it was difficult to remove them with a stick.
I used Ultramax 250 grain cowboy loads. I had another pistol loaded with 25 grains of 3f a wonder wad and 454 ball.
The 3f loads were hotter.
I had more bounce out of the pistol and when I changed pistols the conversion gun seemed to just pop and hardly any bounce.
I can shoot both single handed but its notcible that the cartridge loads are low power.

You! You,you,you! :haha:

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! :haha: man he layed a shooting on that feller with that last shot! rolled his eyes backwards fer sure! :shocked2:

Another short, but much more detailed video of Clint changing cylinders on the 1858.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P382tsARVdM[/youtube]

Well, after researching the Internet these last few days, I had a change of heart.

From what I have read, the Pietta ranks right up there with Uberti now days as to quality. With the $250.00 Uberti on backorder at Midway, I canceled it.

So I opted to get the Pietta .44 target model at Cabelas for $220.00, (couldn't pass on those adjustable sights, it's on backorder, :( so what's new) two spare cylinders, two double cavity Lee moulds, (one each, RB and conical) 1,000 caps, nipple wrench, SS nipples, a target holster, inline capper, and set of spare pistol replacement parts.

The price of caps has sure went up and the $20.00 hazmat fee didn't help.

So now here I sit, trying to explain to the wife how her $250.00 gift I canceled to save money, has now ballooned to $543.00. :redface: :shake:

TANSTAAFL said:
So I opted to get the Pietta .44 target model at Cabelas for $220.00, (couldn't pass on those adjustable sights, it's on backorder, :( so what's new) two spare cylinders, two double cavity Lee moulds, (one each, RB and conical) 1,000 caps, nipple wrench, SS nipples, a target holster, inline capper, and set of spare pistol replacement parts.

So now here I sit, trying to explain to the wife how her $250.00 gift I canceled to save money, has now ballooned to $543.00. :redface: :shake:

Well sir, you are stocked up on supplies for a while. Man, I bought that model from Cabela's 2 years ago and it was $199. I refused to pay the Hazmat fee on the caps, so I went to Cabela's and bought a supply. I think it's a great gun. Only problem I have had is that you need a teeny-tiny eyeglass scredriver to make adjustments. And after a while, the screws come loose. Even with the loose sights, it's a shooter!

James

TANSTAAFL said:
Well, after researching the Internet these last few days, I had a change of heart.

From what I have read, the Pietta ranks right up there with Uberti now days as to quality. With the $250.00 Uberti on backorder at Midway, I canceled it.

The price of caps has sure went up and the $20.00 hazmat fee didn't help.

It's not the steak that costs the real money! It's the wine, apps, salads, and desserts and coffees that do the "addin-up"!

My newly acquired Pietta Stainless 12" '58 Buffalo seems every bit of high quality! Getting to learn where the trigger snaps is always a challenge with a new revolver...just have to keep on making smoke, that's all!

Good luck with yours and let us know how she handles.

Dave

It's not the steak that costs the real money! It's the wine, apps, salads, and desserts and coffees that do the "addin-up"!

My newly acquired Pietta Stainless 12" '58 Buffalo seems every bit of high quality! Getting to learn where the trigger snaps is always a challenge with a new revolver...just have to keep on making smoke, that's all!

Good luck with yours and let us know how she handles.

Dave

Kinda like buying a 25 dollar hunting license and 40 bucks for a deer tag to save money on meat.

Then 500 for a gun, 300 for a scope, 25,000 for a PU, 20,000 for a camp trailer & etc, etc, etc. Then comes the divorce. :surrender: :grin:

Have now got everything in from Cabela's but the RB mould and the 1858 Remington Army target.

If the pistol is anything like the spare cylinders and parts pack, all I can say is, wow, I am impressed.

The quality of the two spare cylinders is much, much, higher than was expected. The last C&B pistols (Uberti) I played with a few decades ago, the first thing one did was get out the Swiss files, honing slip stones, and go to work. Not so on these Pietta parts, machine work and finish is excellent, more than equals most modern cartridge pistols I have seen as of late.

I would suspect with this degree of accuracy and at their low sales price, Pietta is utilizing multi axis CNC machine tools.

The Pietta 1858 New Army Target from Cabela's came in today, several of you guys told me I would like the Pietta, and you were so right. Having been to three dog fights and two county fairs, I am not easily impressed, but with this pistol, I was "very" impressed, I was not expecting this high of quality for the price.

Fit and finish are excellent, locks up tight like a Swiss bank vault. The two spare cylinders interchanged perfectly, with no noted differences as to timing and fit vis-à-vis the original one that came with the pistol.

There was one thing that may be cause for concern, clearance of cylinder/barrel faces is a tight .003", hope this does not make for jamming from rapid fouling.

Only thing left is proof of the pudding when I take it out shooting. Wanted to go today, but the wind has been screaming here for the last two days. (will likely be much worse Santa Ana winds as it gets over to southern CA)

I was Pretty sure you would like it. I haven't had any problems with the tight barrel cylinder gap. I have fired 5 cylinders of full power loads with no binding there because of fouling. I do have to clean the cylinder pin after about 4-5 cylinders or it starts getting Pretty tight. The only complaint i had with mine was the out of the box trigger pull. There was some free travel and roughness. I took it all apart and did a little polishing and the pull is a lot smoother, but still has some free travel. Not bad though.

Outstanding! I am glad you like it. Once it is broken in, you should not have to worry about binding. Mine only gets tight.

Back