• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A fix for my new 1858 Remmie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sold some stuff for a tidy profit so I treated me to an Uberti 1858 Remington 8" blue ..I really never read or thought about it but the projectile ram/plunger is set up for conical s for sure ...
As a ball shooter the ram's sharp edges pretty well meet the lead ring shaved from the ball and sometimes it reinserts the lead ring back on top of the ball

Any one know of someone building this plunger for round balls?

Bear

Fill it with hot glue and stick a ball in it to conform to the ball. you can always easily remove the glue plug if you change your mind on projectiles. It won’t hurt the finish or the gun. I do this quite often as I am an avid reloader of the other type of ammo. I do this on the seating stems of some reloading dies to match a bullet profile that is differen.

I have used JB Weld to make the plunger match the bullet nose profile. Coat the nose of the bullet with vaseline and put some JB Weld in the plunger cavity and squish it on down. Then file it nice and neat once it sets up.

But really it's not a big deal. Basically you're turning your round balls into semi wadcutters. Should make nice holes in paper.

Back