• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ease and accuracy of shooting. 1851 Navy vs 1858 Remington. Thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little levity is in order: A few months ago, my wife bought a pellet pistol. It looks a bit like a Glo--- you know. She wanted me to try it, out of the box. At about 15 feet, we set up a cardboard box with a few pieces of cardboard in it. I read the instructions [really] and carefully took aim at the 4" circle with a quarter sized circle in the center. [All this on our front porch.] When I fired, both of us fainted; well, not quite but the .17-inch hole was precisely centered in the quarter. However, the gun was much more powerful than we expected. There was an equal sized hole in the metal siding of our garage. Neither of us have ever fired that critter again. I know when to call it good :rolleyes:. Forgive me, this is not about ML, but it was fun, and I did not need 45D [maybe later]. Dale

I kinda get the feeling from your posts that's your point of view.

Ok, that's your own misconception because I don't set up revolvers specifically for a particular activity except for fanning and I haven't done one of those in years. The open-top platforms get the same spec no matter what . . . same endshake, same bolt drop (timing), positive engagement trigger pull with 2.0 - 3.5 pounds (nothing less than 2 ), bolt block, action stop, wedge bearing, cap post, etc. . . . they're all the same. So, I don't tell anybody WHAT to do with them except that they can do whatever they WANT to do with them . . . the revolver can handle it (same with Remingtons and Rugers).

I say "live and let live" and don't belittle the viewpoints and shooting philosophies of someone who's coming to the sport with a whole different set of criteria and priorities, as I have noticed that some here do, . . .

So saying my work may get you "minimal / marginal " improvements isn't belittling ( especially when you really don't have a clue)? When 10 - 15 hrs get spent per revolver and some "thoughtful fellow forum member" spreads that that's the kind of improvement you can expect . . . I kinda get where you're coming from.

There is no one absolute right and correct way. Those who think they "know it all" and so derogate any others that do something different but that works for them aren't building the community as a whole.

I don't "derogate" anybody.

And, believe it or not, there is an engineer blueprint down to the degree arc of movement of the hammer that the bolt should start to desend ( bolt pickup) and a tolerance for bolt drop . . . So, there is in fact a blueprint of exactly how the action
of a Colt single action works. Nowhere does it say " just as long as it will work . . . ".
I've been a very dedicated student of the S.A. for quite a long time and I've studied and talked with some of the best tuners and builders in the country . . . and I try to pass along a little of what I know to this and other forums. If you know better, please tell us how . . . I enjoy learning this stuff immensely.

Mike

A little levity is in order: A few months ago, my wife bought a pellet pistol. It looks a bit like a Glo--- you know. She wanted me to try it, out of the box. At about 15 feet, we set up a cardboard box with a few pieces of cardboard in it. I read the instructions [really] and carefully took aim at the 4" circle with a quarter sized circle in the center. [All this on our front porch.] When I fired, both of us fainted; well, not quite but the .17-inch hole was precisely centered in the quarter. However, the gun was much more powerful than we expected. There was an equal sized hole in the metal siding of our garage. Neither of us have ever fired that critter again. I know when to call it good :rolleyes:. Forgive me, this is not about ML, but it was fun, and I did not need 45D [maybe later]. Dale
I have the Umarex Colt Defender. It rocks, very accurate to a certain distance, potent. I added the red dot laser sight. I would not want to get shot with one.
Set up a range in house so i can still shoot when cant get to range with my BPs.
These aren’t the same as what we had as kids.

Speaking of Remingtons, way back in the 1970's there was a gun shop / sporting goods store near me that had a beautiful Remington revolver in the showcase; the wood grips had a particularly attractive color and finish. Don't know what replica maker it was, but I couldn't afford it! Not long after, the entire building caught fire and was totaled! I wondered what ever became of the Remington, not to mention any other guns that were there! I think the store was called Sportsman's Warehouse or similar. (I simply didn't have the money to buy the revolver at the time!) Can't recall the price! o_O
BTW, yes, the ATF was there, must've been a number of modern guns 'totaled' that had to be accounted for! Many years ago!

Apologies to those that have heard me say this before.
Ive had several of each and like them both for different reasons. The colts are like sports car: high maintenance and temperamental. Everything has to be nearly perfect to run well. The Remington design is like the daily driver F150: its heavier and not as easy on the eye but nearly always reliable. Buffalo Bill said of all his pistols that the Remmington never failed him. The only one I have right now is a .44 that I inherited and was abused to a standstill. I cleaned it up and worked it over and even with the pitting in the bore (especially the muzzle) it shoots dead on. Only failure to fire was from caps I made and no fault of the gun. My 2 cents.
Wonder how Buffalo Bill got his Caps with no Wally Worlds out there at the time?;)

I've had both these guns for 2 or 3 years now and have done some tuning and parts replacement on the 1851 (Pietta). Sights, hammer, bolt spring, adjust mainspring, replace nipples, and install action shield. The Uberti 1858 has been good right out of the box. Replaced nipples on it. Both guns are very accurate off of a rest and both run basically trouble free. For quick single hand shooting I'll feel better shooting the 1851 but for two hand target shooting I do better with the 1858. The grip seems larger, easier for a two hand grip, sights seem better for my eyes and the trigger is lighter so I can get my shot off when the gun is waving around at the proper instant when I'm on target. I was just wondering how others feel about these two and any secrets to improve handling. View attachment 259754
For me, it's always the Remington that gets the nod.

Back