• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ease and accuracy of shooting. 1851 Navy vs 1858 Remington. Thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the 1851 for most all things considered.

However the Remington is real nice if you have spare cylinders on hand. I really like how easy it is to change cylinders and get back to shooting faster.

but then it takes me like 10+ minutes to load up a revolver because I am slow :)

I prefer not to make fun of handicapped people. I do however consider that 7yrd metric to be an excuse for folks who have no proficiency with handguns to feel good and pat themselves on the back for being able to hit an 18x24inch piece of cardboard at 21 feet. Jerry Miculek hits that size steel at 1,000 yrds with modern revolvers. I personally feel like I am shooting well when I can consistently hit a 5" steel circle at 25yrds and a 6" steel at 50 yards. I have that dialed with my single shot .50cal trapper but not with my cap and ball revolvers. I can hit the steel but not the consistency.. I plan on sending my steel frame 58 to Mike for the outlaw mule treatment at some point with hopes of a better trigger helping the situation.

Well I think that picture of your two handguns is sweet. They look real nice. I have larger hands so the 1860 would be my preference. Good thing you have both so you don't have to make the tough decision on which to get, you all ready have the best. By the way Good job on that front sight.
I have large hands as well, that is why I have a 3rd model Colt dragoon by Uberti. I also have a 1858 Remington with a large frame that fits my hand perfectly. I ordered it from dixi gun works a few years back.

rifleman. i havent been able to do that with any consistency with my cap and ball revolvers. I can do it consistently with my .50 cal trapper which has a doubble set trigger. thats off hand. I can hit the 25yrd plate pretty consatntly with my 58 off a rest. I dont have a good rest for my 50 yrd plate. hitting the 25yrd plate with the 58 revolver from a rest tells me its doable off hand but I need better nerves or a better trigger. or both... and I desperatly need new glasses. eye appointment is nov 6th

If we are talking "out of the box" revolvers for accuracy then I pick the Remington style. If we are talking looks then I pick the Colt style. I like them both but the Colt style fit my hand better except for a Walker - it is too much of a club with all its weight. I bought one only for its history not for shooting much. You will eventually buy one or more of each - they are inexpensive compared to a modern Colt or Smith.:thumb:

I like the Remington look better. It looks like a big solid gun that can do some real damage without being unmanageable. Before I knew anything about BP I was impressed when Clint Eastwood did the cylinder swap in Pale Rider. I said one day I'm going to get that gun. So now I have three. An old repo 1858 BP by Dart. A Uberti BP 1858, and a Uberti 1858 New Model Army unmentionable.

That also impressed me. the movie was set in 1848. Clint had an 1858 pattent pistol with a cylinder conversion that was not available untill the 1870s.. I am like Damn. This guy is good!
The realities of all that went right over my head at the time. It still does not ruin movies for me. Just one more thing to pay attention to. Two things that bug me: The inexhaustible amount of bullets that Hollywood guns carry and the cowboys that noticeably push their guns towards their target when pulling the trigger in the gunfights.

The realities of all that went right over my head at the time. It still does not ruin movies for me. Just one more thing to pay attention to. Two things that bug me: The inexhaustible amount of bullets that Hollywood guns carry and the cowboys that noticeably push their guns towards their target when pulling the trigger in the gunfights.

I just watched the end of that movie again today and I gotta say, Clint did a LOT of shooting in that restaurant at the end.
As did Blackburn's deputies in an earlier scene. I'm thinking the reloads were edited out ;)

.... with hopes of a better trigger helping the situation.
Ummm, well, what you do to modify your guns is up to you, but frankly, I've got 150+ plus guns and if I paid someone to improve the triggers on each an every one of them I'd be filing for bankruptcy. I think the real pro learns the trigger of each gun and adapts his technique to use its trigger in the best way possible way within the limitations of that gun's trigger action. Improvements in gun actions don't altogether make up for deficiencies in technique. Not saying you have any, and by your description it sounds like you're already shooting quite well. Just realize the gun isn't always to blame, and whatever work you have done to your trigger may in the end not have as much benefit as you think it will. Unless you're engaging in competition, some minor marginal improvement may not be worth it, IMO.

Ummm, well, what you do to modify your guns is up to you, but frankly, I've got 150+ plus guns and if I paid someone to improve the triggers on each an every one of them I'd be filing for bankruptcy. I think the real pro learns the trigger of each gun and adapts his technique to use its trigger in the best way possible way within the limitations of that gun's trigger action. Improvements in gun actions don't altogether make up for deficiencies in technique. Not saying you have any, and by your description it sounds like you're already shooting quite well. Just realize the gun isn't always to blame, and whatever work you have done to your trigger may in the end not have as much benefit as you think it will. Unless you're engaging in competition, some minor marginal improvement may not be worth it, IMO.
😒

Latest posts

Back