• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turtle Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all you "turtle" people out there, is there various ways to make turtle soup of is it always hot and spicy. Someone told me a lot of restaurants just put in dark turkey meat and call it turtle.
Any other way to eat turtle?

Ogre said:
I couldn't tell you what the turtle tasted like because the various hot sauces, ingredients, or what ever that was used to make the soup basically napalmed my mouth and digestive track.

My feelings are if they have to put that much hot sauce, etc, in the soup that should tell you what turtle meat tastes like.

crockett said:
Any other way to eat turtle?
Pan fried, deep fried, crockpot, baked, it is all good. Basically if you treat it like you would an old squirrel, parboil or simmer it, fry it and then bake it, etc. it will come out OK. I even have a recipe for General Tso Turtle, but haven't tried it.

There are both dark and light meat, the texture is a bit chewy but not tough, if handled correctly.

I've never had snapping turtle soup, but I've enjoyed it fixed a lot of other ways, all a long time ago.

Growing up in the country has advantages. :haha:

Spence

I have always understood that the turtle soup which was so popular was salt water turtle, sea turtle, maybe green turtle soup, not fresh water turtle. I can't recall ever seeing anything about snapping turtle soup...?

Spence

Doing a little research on this I see that both soft shell and snapper were used for turtle soup in USA, especially in the south. Sea turtles, too, but apparently a lot of fresh water turtles were used, even land turtles, terrapins, etc. I guess they ate to many of them, because today turtles of all sorts are severely diminished and many of them are on the protected list

Spence

They are not endanger in NH or ME as far as I know 2 per day is catch and possession limit in NH.

Had to get that from F&G HQ as they are not in the regulations.

Be careful and ask them as in ME chipmunks are protected for some reason.

Know the problem. 20 plus years ago Squirrels could not be hunted in my county. I got that changed with a court challenge the F&G dropped it ASAP. it seems the county F&G commissioner for 30 plus years liked to feed the varmints.

SE what we have to deal with in the live or Die state? NO actual public owned ranges at all after taking 90 plus years of our taxes meant for that and conservation.

Don't believe the TV show. They have control of what is seen.

On your own land, no problem if safe, meaning backstop. Woods are not a backstop as it should be.

I have a range in my yard and a sandpit in a 5 minute drive. We shoot From 22 and BP to NFA on both. But the average shooter does not own there own range. Because I have mine does not stop my complaints to the state.

George said:
Around here in early 20th century a lot of country fellows did what was called noodling. They got into the creek and felt along the bank underwater, around all the roots, rocks and such, and caught a lot of things with their bare hands, big catfish and buffalo, snapping turtles. I presume it was what Ames was describing when he said, "we free handed them from the creeks." I wonder if it is still being done, today.

Spence

In southern Indiana, near Friendship, there is a tradition of Sunday dinners at churches. Never a need to cook on Sunday. Food was great and reasonably priced. A staple at those dinners was turtle soup. Very delicious. Men caught the turtles by 'noodling'. I was invited to participate several times but declined because I am very attached to my fingers. :shocked2: But, that is the way it was done. BTW, there is also a mock turtle soup they occasionally served. Very good also.

Latest posts

Back