• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishindoc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been real happy with my jackie brown 20 gauge fowler. I had jackie make me a gun that was 51 inches overall length and it has been a great gun. I want to build my own and have been looking at the chambers kits. i'm 5 foot 4 inches and the pennsylvania fowler I like is 62 inches. are any of you guys short like me but find that the long barrel length is not a problem. I guess you just load it with the gun on an angle to get the leverage to push home the ram rod. or a stool
joe

thanks mike- my point is the muzzle of the gun is as tall as I am and was wondering if that would be a problem to load
joe

I just built their N. E. Fowler--62" long, same as the Pa fowler. I'm 5' 6", and don't have any trouble with it.

Hugh

That's how you do it. Just angle the piece a bit. The idea that long barrels are a problem is a falsehood. I have guns with barrels from 26" to 48" long and length isn't a factor in any way, from loading to moving through brush and thick cover. I prefer the longer barrels for balance and the longer sighting plane. The looks are a plus too.

Stand on a ditch bank.................HHHHmmmmmmm is THIS how the military first came up with the idea for trenches????? :blah:

Correct me if im wrong, I think our forfathers loaded these critters laying down when being shot at. Just hold it at a comfortable angle and load it... Get the correct buttplate for this.. Both chambers guns i have had great buttplates... you can reach up to seat the load vertically if neccesary... ... dave..

thanks guys i think i'm gonna go with the pennsylvania fowler and the full length barrel be damned with my height
joe

Back