• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range/Practice vs. Hunting Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So interesting to hear the variety of approaches to this (and virtually every other aspect of muzzleloading).

I too am primarily a hunter and view all of my range time as preparation for hunting. However, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say shooting anything less than your full hunting load is a waste of time. As others noted by others, the mechanics of shooting remain the same regardless of how big of a boom and smoke cloud comes out the muzzle. I mostly shoot at an indoor range at only 25 yards (at least weekly and probably 20 shots each visit) so I really like the idea of sighting in my hunting load and then just knowing what to expect at that distance from a reduced load. I could care less if I'm hitting bullseye. I just want to see everything in the same spot. I only get to the outdoor range for longer distances once a month at best, where I would be more likely to use a full hunting load. Of course I'll spend a few sessions in the weeks preceding seasons to shoot full loads, but seems unnecessary in April IMO.

Regarding the relatively low powder charges some of you mentioned, I just always assumed that was more a result of your old bones getting brittle or being worried about detaching a retina. :rotf: Just kidding of course... But I would be curious to hear which ballistic tables/calculators you all are using. I wasn't aware these were common for muzzleloading and always thought there would be too many variables for the calculator to effectively handle.

I can also see using lighter loads for deer (I too can't remember the last deer I shot that wasn't a full pass through), but might be a bit more hesitant about those on elk. My old go-to load was 85gr of T7 FFG and I've killed a couple dozen deer with that over the last decade plus. Figured 100gr of BP would be pretty close to that and so far it looks to be.

Thanks again for humoring me with my questions for the board!

That's about what I do, too. In fact there's maybe only one exception to that.

I've always done as much shooting as possible simply because I love to shoot. Since I own more than one long gun I find one load that works for each rifle and it is sighted in for that load. This turns out to be 60 grains in the two .45s, 70 in the .50, 60 in the .54 and 70 in the .62 smoothbore; all 3F. I shoot them at the range and with their load, periodically. Just helps my confidence to see them still printing as usual at 50 to 100 yards. My hunting has slowed down a lot so there's not as much need for them as there use to be.

The exception is my .40 flintlock. It seems to shoot very well with 40 grains and 55 or 60 grains. The 40 grain load is the all around load since I don't shoot deer with it. All the rifles get checked at 100 yards with their load and the smoothbore at 50 yards.

But for small game and recreational shooting I go to the .32 and .36. 20 grains is accurate in both, inexpensive and does the job in the bush. I don't shoot small game with big guns; I go to a small gun.

dsayer said:
Just another thread for my curiosity. As I've said in other threads, I just recently started shooting often rather than only shooting a handful of times just prior to hunting in the fall. As a result, I've really only worked with loads that I planned to use for hunting. As I was practicing off hand shooting the other day at the range, I thought to myself, "Holy cow! I'm wasting a whole bunch of powder here. I should probably work up (down technically) a load for the range!" :doh:

My current hunting load for my 54cal Cabela's rifle is 100gr Graf's FFG, 535 ball, and a 0.010 mink oiled patch. I think I'll start with something around 60gr for plinking at the range when I go this week. I go to the range at least once a week so 100gr per shot will eat through my powder cache pretty fast.

How much do you all lower your powder charges for range/practice vs. hunting use? Or do you at all? Of course I'm planning to do my own experimenting but just curious how everyone approaches this. Money doesn't grow on trees around here, so stretching every pound of powder as far as possible seems a worthy goal.

Some people find it best to use reduced loads for the development of their shooting technique and some don't.
It's zen or black powder magic but what works for each of us really is different.

I target shoot( paper and trail walk) with the same load as I hunt with. I see no point in changing anything. I shoot at 2 or 3 different clubs monthly and I'm usually in the top 3... So WHY should I increase my powder charge to hunt, that changes everything, especially point of impact...I know exactly where that ball it hitting, and if it doesn't, then I know it was me not the gun....and with were I hunt, I'm not going to have a shot more the 50-75 yards, along with that, most of my deer have been taken within 25 yards...

I shoot a custom early English flinter, 50gr of 3f under a ticking spit patch with a .490 RB, 42 in octagon to round barrel.

Ranger

At a 40 grain difference between the 2 loads, and at $24 per pound, that works out to a $0.125 per shot differential between the 2 loads. If you buy your powder cheaper than that, then of course the per shot savings are even less.

If you cast your own round ball with scrounged lead, you will likely realize that $0.125 differential right there vs. buying them off the shelf @ $13.00 per 100 / $0.13 ea.

I can also see using lighter loads for deer (I too can't remember the last deer I shot that wasn't a full pass through), but might be a bit more hesitant about those on elk. My old go-to load was 85gr of T7 FFG and I've killed a couple dozen deer with that over the last decade plus. Figured 100gr of BP would be pretty close to that and so far it looks to be.

Yes, lighter loads for deer are just fine. The first deer I ever killed with an ml (.45 cal. prb) was with a 95 gr. charge of real bp. I was sickened at the amount of meat loss from that charge. I dropped my charge for hunting to 65 gr. and stayed with it for the duration. Very minimal meat loss and deer were just as ded.

Col. Batguano said:
At a 40 grain difference between the 2 loads, and at $24 per pound, that works out to a $0.125 per shot differential between the 2 loads. If you buy your powder cheaper than that, then of course the per shot savings are even less.

If you cast your own round ball with scrounged lead, you will likely realize that $0.125 differential right there vs. buying them off the shelf @ $13.00 per 100 / $0.13 ea.

That's one way to look at it. I see it as making my powder last 40% longer. We're on a tight budget in my household and my wife cringes when I buy BP because I have to buy enough to justify the hazmat fee. I shoot at least weekly and probably ~20 shots each time I'm at the range. Using your numbers, that's $130 a year. Maybe trivial to some, but not me.

Also, I see casting my own balls and boolits as further reducing the cost of each shot, not having one offset the other.

Saving $$ is very important for shooters. Being frugal, I cast ball from scrounged lead, cut my own patches but use commercial lube. Other than that the powder is the real expense. The states I've hunted required a 50 grain powder charge for deer; I use 60 to 70 grains through all calibers, except the little guys. That's the main reason I shoot .32 through .40 rifles the most, my favorite being the .36.

Very good points. I was 33 once, with 3 boys and $$ sure didn't grow on trees. Of course, back then a can of Goex ff was only about $6 a pound if memory serves. Sure wish it still was $6 :v:

Agree. When I started in this game the cost per shot was almost too small to measure. Things have changed. Caps are 5 to 10 cents each, powder is like gold, even flints rival the Hope diamond in price. Stuff changes.

Imagining a nice set of flint earrings or a piece of flint set in a platinum ring... :rotf:

You're right though... Things change. Muzzleloading is still a pretty affordable way to spend the day the range compared to modern firearms, especially with factory ammo.

Amen to that. Shooting muzzleloaders and BP is way cheaper ammo wise and just more fun. I shoot a lot of 9mm in pistols, and I can shoot all day every day for what it costs me for 2 boxes of even cheap 9mm range ammo. :thumbsup:

My first muzzle loader that I shot much was a TC Hawken kit that was about $100 in the middle 1970's. That sounds very cheap today, but it took me more time to save that price when I was in my first job out of college and a newborn at home than it would for a much more expensive gun today.

I've almost always shot "target" loads at the range and "hunting" loads for deer hunting. Back then I shot a lot more at club and rondy events so shooting a lighter target load was important. I shot my hunting load too at the range when shooting 100+ yards and at longer range gongs. I was comfortable that I could hit what I shot at while hunting and still have fun at the range with a lighter load.

This is just another opinion. My shooting was and is recreation.

Kansas Jake said:
This is just another opinion. My shooting was and is recreation.

Opinions are exactly what I wanted hear in this thread. Muzzleloading is fascinating like that. Everyone seems to have their own unique routine and way of doing things. :hatsoff:

I use 50 grains Goes 3f in my .54 and .62 for offhand practice (and they both smack a steel plate with authority using these loads). My hunting loads are 80 grains 3f in the .54, and 100 gr 3f on the .62.

One load 90gr. Prydex .530 RB and .018 patch. In my Rengade. One load so far. I have quite a bit of Prydex I purchased years ago from Wal Mart, hope I live long enough to turn it all into smoke. Then I will make the switch to real Black Powder. I do not find recoil to be to stiff.

Rats I hate the reply posting to junk .not to the poster before me.

Trigger time is what counts.

Light loads teach more about shooting than heavy loads.

Heavy loads can and may induce flinching, only light loads can cure it.

I had a buddy that shot TC maxi's and 120 grain loads of 2ffg. He could not hit anything with them bench or offhand (OH in the dirt 20 yards out ) the recoil screwed him up big time.

The cure for him was a case of 5000 rounds of unmentionable over a summer then light loads of 30 grains of 3fg and a round ball. We worked it up to 70 grains and same projectile. Cured his flinch and he shot a deer that first day.

Shooting big loads thinking it's helping you shoot them better may be the wrong tactic.

Enjoy the flinches you get guys for they can be our own fault! :yakyak:

Back