• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Specific jag for loading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CitadelGrad08

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a newbie question that I thought of recently so I used the search function here and got 2-3 threads that I could see debating this so I do apologize if I am opening a can of worms.

What style of jag is recommended for properly loading/seating a muzzleloader? Is there a specific one used primarily for loading? If so what is it called?

I just assumed you could use a cleaning jag but I have seen here that there have been incidents where it can occasionally pull the ball up enough to cause safety issues. I normally use a steel range rod and cleaning jag for loading blanks but would this be ok to use with round balls both patched and not patched?

I have a smooth bore TVM Fowler and two rifles (one a Lancaster in .54 and a trade rifle in .50) that I have only shot blanks out of but now I have more time to actually start practicing with actual shot and want to make sure I am using what is safe/proper.

Any guidance is much appreciated as I can’t seem to find a solid answer.

I’ve never had problems with a cleaning jag. Your patch doesn’t need to be so long as to catch in the notchs.
Howsomever no tip is really needed. I buy 7/16 rod and leave the end full sized cutting the ready to fit the pipes.
I also carry a full 7/16 wiping stick

If your jag has room to go down the barrel with a patch it should be no problem. I use a jag when just target shooting and the rod end when hunting, If you are worried just leave the jag off and just use the loading rods.
Good stuff, thank you. Won’t the steel range rod damage the barrel without a jag? I have one of those guide cones/sleeves that go in the muzzle that I use regularly.

Sorry, I thought you were talking out in the field. At the range I use a steel range rod with a cleaning jag and the funnel shaped ramrod guide. The jag I use is cupped.
No worries, that’s pretty much the same setup I was intending to use too. Thanks!

No jag , just the wood end of your ramrod ... other end has the brass tip for your jag and other cleaning attachments ...

Attachments

• IMG_20231212_163835.jpg
    IMG_20231212_163835.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Some gun clubs require you to swab between shots so when it is required I have a range rod with a cleaning jag on the end that is cupped to closely match the ball. It will seat the ball and I can also run a cleaning patch down the bore without switching rods when needed. :thumb:

Some gun clubs require you to swab between shots so when it is required I have a range rod with a cleaning jag on the end that is cupped to closely match the ball. It will seat the ball and I can also run a cleaning patch down the bore without switching rods when needed. :thumb:
REALLY! a gun club requires swabbing between shots!

That is the first I have heard of that bit of nonsense.

I think he was asking about the jags with the flat face and barb on the tip. Muzzleloader jags have a cup on the end radiused to fit the size ball that fits the bore the diameter is made to clean.

Most of my underbarrel rammers have a cup carved into the muzzle end to fit the ball and a metal ferrule on the breech end that is pinned on and threaded to accept jags, brushes, ball pullers, breech scrapers, tow worms, etc which are carried in a tin in my shot bag.

At the range I use a steel rod with brass cone bushing, fixed knob/handle, and a cupped cleaning jag to seat the ball and wipe the bore if I need to.

Any club that required wiping between shots (for some perceived safety value against burning embers, no doubt) won't have me for a member.

REALLY! a gun club requires swabbing between shots!

That is the first I have heard of that bit of nonsense.
Yes - REALLY -- I've shot at two that have that requirement. If you want to shoot at their range - you swab or leave.

Conclusion of all the above: "jag" is really a rather inclusive (or rather non-specific) term. Usually refers to something on the end of a rod that can grab and hold a cleaning patch. Which you don't need for ramming a ball. Rather you do best with something that has a concave surface that won't deform the ball, but is wide enough to not dislocate the patch. Some ramrod tips can do both. That kind of a tip would give you the most utility. And if it's of a diameter that will accomodate a patched ball, it should also be of a proper diameter for a cleaning patch. That's what you ought to look for, IMO.

Track of the Wolf has more ramrod "tips" than you could possibly imagine.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=ramrod tips

Yet another gun range run by idiots who aren't gun people and know nothing about muzzleloaders.
I tend to agree with you but all of these people belong to an old well established muzzle loading club that has been around for over 60 + years and hold club shoots twice a month. They go to all the major shoots and most win some medals also. This is a club rule, and it will not change. I don't mind wiping between shots - I get better groups wiping between shots. :thumb: :ghostly:

What Riflman 1776 stated is all that’s needed.

However, I keep a cupped cleaning jag on my ramrod all the time on my .32 caliber. Reason for doing so is I’m a die hard Squirrel hunter and I have to run a damp cleaning patch down the bore after several shots. So keeping the jag on the ramrod is easier, faster and I don’t have to be concerned about dropping the jag in the woods. The only issues I’ve ran into is it’s best to remove the ramrod prior to pouring the powder down the bore. No biggie. The other is the jag will accumulate crud after a while. Nothing a quick cleaning can’t rectify.

I have seated a load with the flat end of the ramrod and it worked just fine.

Back