• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Specific jag for loading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to agree with you but all of these people belong to an old well established muzzle loading club that has been around for over 60 + years and hold club shoots twice a month. They go to all the major shoots and most win some medals also. This is a club rule, and it will not change. I don't mind wiping between shots - I get better groups wiping between shots. :thumb: :ghostly:
Our club doesn't require wiping between shots but most of the serious target shooters do. We have a few that just shoot out of the bag.
Their playground their rules

I agree, their club their rules.

Our club insists no one blow down the barrel which I think is equally silly but I go along to get along and use a piece of rubber tubing, accomplishes the same thing and keeps everyone happy.

I tend to agree with you but all of these people belong to an old well established muzzle loading club that has been around for over 60 + years and hold club shoots twice a month. They go to all the major shoots and most win some medals also. This is a club rule, and it will not change. I don't mind wiping between shots - I get better groups wiping between shots. :thumb: :ghostly:
OK, my apologies, just my first reaction without knowing details. Their range - their rules. Though I think it's silly. It's why I patronize three different outdoor ranges and one indoor. Rules vary.

I have a newbie question that I thought of recently so I used the search function here and got 2-3 threads that I could see debating this so I do apologize if I am opening a can of worms.

What style of jag is recommended for properly loading/seating a muzzleloader? Is there a specific one used primarily for loading? If so what is it called?

I just assumed you could use a cleaning jag but I have seen here that there have been incidents where it can occasionally pull the ball up enough to cause safety issues. I normally use a steel range rod and cleaning jag for loading blanks but would this be ok to use with round balls both patched and not patched?

I have a smooth bore TVM Fowler and two rifles (one a Lancaster in .54 and a trade rifle in .50) that I have only shot blanks out of but now I have more time to actually start practicing with actual shot and want to make sure I am using what is safe/proper.

Any guidance is much appreciated as I can’t seem to find a solid answer.
I’ve loaded for decades with a cleaning type jag. Both with pre cut and cut at the muzzle patch. No issues

The majority of competitors I've shot with over the past 5 decades, myself included use ramrods with a cupped end or jag that is radiused to fit curvature of the round ball to prevent deforming of the ball while firmly & consistently seating the load.

All of the above increases your chance of winning & filling your deer tag.
Relic shooter

I say — do not use a button jag, they will catch the patch in a short start or full depth seating. The cleaning jags tapered body from the jag to the end screwed to the end of your field rod gives relief for this to not occur. I’ve never read or been told this, but 30 years of front stuffing has taught me.

I say — do not use a button jag, they will catch the patch in a short start or full depth seating. The cleaning jags tapered body from the jag to the end screwed to the end of your field rod gives relief for this to not occur. I’ve never read or been told this, but 30 years of front stuffing has taught me.

Your correct sir,
Diameter of the jag or tip of the ramrod must be sized properly so that it will not snag edges of the patch while loading.
Relic shooter

Back