• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Petroleum Based Products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a can of Ballistol and used it for some things. It is okay, but I do not see it as the wonder uber-lube that you seem to want us to accept. There are other useful options.

Post your info all you like. But get the details correct. I wrote 20W50 rather than 10W40. I understand that there are differences. This particular oil was tested by Gun Test Magazine years ago and recommended pretty favorably at that time. I tried it and have found that this works. Maybe I am more careful in my cleaning or just lucky. In the low humidity areas of southeastern Louisiana, South Carolina (Peedee area) Guam and Mississippi, I got no rust from 20W50 or Rig 2 Sportsman's Oil even for long term storage and transport.

If your marriage to Ballistol is a happy one, then I am glad for you, but I smell snake oil and an activist agenda to much of the material that I have read about Ballistol. The testing methodology sited seems almost comic to me. If I choose to burn powder near my bores and then store them in such a high humidity environment, then I might seek out this "research." But until then, I think that I will stay with things that keep my guns protected in the envirnment in which they are actually used and stored.

Shall I now sit in the time out corner until I can praise the wonder product with sufficient sincerity to suit you?

Maybe not...

CS

Just trying to help. You wanted a test on motor oil, and I showed one. Weight of the oil shouldn't make much difference in preventing rust.

I'm done talking about lubes. I grow tired of posts like yours.

Back