• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Microcrystalline wax?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weavedreamer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Was wondering what your guys opinions would be on using a petroleum based wax in the barrel for muzzleloading. I’ve heard it can be a bad idea and create tar and that’s why I’ve only ever used non-petroleum natural based products. I’m trying to make a lube to go over the bullet with a higher melting point. I already looked into carnauba wax which is all natural but a lower melting point.

I've always seen dire warnings against use of any petroleum product that will come in contact with burning/burnt black powder.
Lately I've been seeing reports from some folks saying they have had no problems with it, or that it's fine as a bore protectant if you clean it well before shooting,,,, but some people's idea of "works fine," or, "not a problem," is different than others.
I do know that someone I trust based on his repeated, and demonstrated, results uses only animal amd vegetable fats in his guns and has no rust or other issues even after leaving the gun dirty a day or two, sometimes it's been fired and reloaded then left a day.

Personally, I try to stick with food grade/food safe stuff for my patch and wad lubes,,, I don't shoot conicals from my muzzleloaders so don't have experience there but if I did I don't think I'd worry as much about it. If I were to go that route and was to use it for hunting I think I would seek a combination of mink or neatsfoot oil and beeswax, or coconut oil and beeswax. The coconut oil is pretty much solid, but not hard, up to about 70°f and thr mink oil is a fairly solid grease too, not sure the melting temp, this might be beneficial with a bullet lube.

Saying "petroleum products" actually encompasses a far too wide range of chemicals to really make sense. Wax in the bore is generally a no-no except for perhaps lubes containing bees wax. Some of the better lubes I've used had some kind of "petroleum" product as an ingredient. Do not use any rust proofing or metal lubricating oil as they can cause problems.

Was wondering what your guys opinions would be on using a petroleum based wax in the barrel for muzzleloading. I’ve heard it can be a bad idea and create tar and that’s why I’ve only ever used non-petroleum natural based products. I’m trying to make a lube to go over the bullet with a higher melting point. I already looked into carnauba wax which is all natural but a lower melting point.
Petroleum and mineral oil based substances react with burning powder and create very hard fouling.

I would not do the wax. It will not soften fouling.
Mix up come cooking oil with melted beeswax. Experiment with the mix ratio to get the stiffness you want.
Start with 50/50 and work up and down from there.

One of these days I'm going to lube my patches with straight lithium wheel bearing grease and see what the fuss is all about. All my dad ever used in his Dixie .45 was old brown, sulfured wheel bearing greased from the 70s, worn out shirts for patches, and Goex 3F.

Ballistol is mostly white mineral oil.

Was wondering,,
As others have said your question is a bit broad and vague.
Petroleum products for rust prevention are fine to use inside a bore. The problem is the presence of "petroleum" in contact with the temp and high pressure of actual black powder oxidation and most of the replicates while firing.
Issues arise as the percolates created during ignition oxidize against the free carbons that are present in the bore. Instead of being expelled, due too pressure and heat, they bond leaving a deposit,, now toss in iron, Fe,,
It is science,, but not rocket science. (and a ton of history)

Something I learned long ago while testing lubes was anytime you recover a bullet of any sorts and find some lube left in grooves you have an out of balance condition. Lube should spin clean of a bullet at the muzzle for accuracy.

What are the n-ssa guys using? They should have mini ball lube figured out. I know several have posted here just don’t remember their combination.

Back