• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Petroleum Based Products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoyoteJoe said:
Ballistol is just mineral oil, which is petroleum based. I got taken in by all of their advertising claims and found that like most claims it really doesn't measure up. Contrary to their claim it will dry to a hard gum. It is not a good rust inhibitor, probably OK for short term but not good for long term storage. I would not use it on wood or leather any more than I would use motor oil. It really is no better in any way than plain mineral oil one can buy at any drug or discount store for 1/4 the price of ballistol.

Wrong on every count, and i've posted the tests and info to disprove you.

I use ballistol as a patch lube but not as a protectant. Each time I've used it I would get rust. Probably due to the fact it's water soluable.

I've tried it about 3 or 4 times and had the same results each time. Been using Barricade for years and have never had a problem. I've talked to others who have the same experience.

Mr History said:
I've tried it about 3 or 4 times and had the same results each time. Been using Barricade for years and have never had a problem. I've talked to others who have the same experience.

It's hard for me to understand. If one gets rust. We all should get rust.

It was invented by the Germans for their military weapons. Don't you think if it didn't work they would have tried something different? It's been used for 100 years.

I don't get it, but I won't use anything else. It works perfect for me.

I also do something i'm not suppose to do. Everybody says to use warm water to flush the barrel after you pump it with soap and water.

I thought about that, and wanted to use hot water. It cleans better and dries faster.

So, I stated to put a few drops of Ballistol in the hot water. It worked perfect for me. The barrel dried faster and the patches came out snow white. I then coated the bore with straight Ballistol, and put it away. Just before shooting i'd run a couple of dry patches down the barrel and they are always snow white. The barrel shines like a mirror.

Nobody will convince me Ballistol doesn't work. I don't understand why some of you get rust.

Sort of like some get rust with Pyrodex, and others don't. :idunno:

It was invented around the same time as the Zeppelin...that turned out real well. :)

Capper said:
No matter how well Ballistol does in these tests. Guys won't use it.

I don't get it? :idunno:

What I don't get is that you have been shooting a Muzzleloading rifle since September and you already know what the absolute best patch lube, cleaning method and rust preventative is, talk about pyrodex like you've shot 50 pounds of the stuff and talk about how great roundballs are for hunting. :hmm:

Your so sure of yourself that you will tell someone like coyotejoe, who has more experience in his little finger than both of us, that he is wrong.

I been shooting MLers for the better part of 30 years and wouldn't swear I know what the best is. Chris
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/249785/post/894306/hl//fromsearch/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
What a surprise. Mr Personaality ragging on me again.

You don't know much about me, because you haven't been on this forum long enough. If you were you'd know I shot inlines for a long time before coming here. The same with shooting CAS. All with real BP. I'm not new to BP lubes.

Plus, it's not rocket science. How long does it take you to learn something? It seems like 30 years for you.

Guys like you who have to get personal instead of sticking to a topic make me sick. Especially when you're wrong 100% of the time.

btw Joe doesn't need you to defend him, and I thought you put me on ignore? :shake:

It's simple, some folks just like to argue.

They find ONE thing that works and stop right there, they have no need to experiment or try other things that can and many times do work as well. All that does is limit the persons knowledge base and experiance. By blindley arguing a single point or proceedure the person holding onto his or her only known way is only hurting themselves.

Some people post "I don't understand why they don't do it my way?" and constantly belittle the other person for not doing it that way.
I feel sorry for folks like that, they just dont "get it" when in fact there's just plain more than one way to skin a cat.

That's not the case with me. I've tried almost everything, and think that Ballistol is a winner. I'm not alone with that opinion.

I don't belittle anybody unless i'm fooling around. Most can tell the difference.

What i'm talking about is when someone is searching for a lube, and just ignore Ballistol. It at least deserves a try if your looking for a lube.

For old timers who have been using their lubes and are happy with them. I hardly try to change their mind. It would do no more good than trying to change mine.

I've shown test that show Ballistol works well. If you don't believe them. Do your own test and see how it compares. Some love olive oil. You can see how it came out in the test. I'd have to think twice about using it, but that's me.

It's your barrel, and are all free to use whatever concoction you want. Don't blame me if i'm passionate about what I use and know works. I don't push it to be a jerk. I do it to help.

necchi said:
It's simple, some folks just like to argue.
They find ONE thing that works and stop right there, they have no need to experiment or try other things that can and many times do work as well. All that does is limit the persons knowledge base and experiance. By blindley arguing a single point or proceedure the person holding onto his or her only known way is only hurting themselves.

Some people post "I don't understand why they don't do it my way?" and constantly belittle the other person for not doing it that way.
I feel sorry for folks like that, they just dont "get it" when in fact there's just plain more than one way to skin a cat.
Well said...some view the world only through their tiny little world of experience.

The MLF is not a "debating stage"...its an electronic bulletin board for people to ask questions and post opinions.
If somebody has an opinion, post it and let it stand on is own merits...or read posts, take what applies, and leave the rest.

Seems like yet another hotly opinionated thread headed for a train wreck in slow motion...there's always a root cause.

roundball said:
... thread headed for a train wreck in slow motion...there's always a root cause.
Yeah, that'd be me! :rotf:

I plan on trying as many lubes as I can, depending on local availability and taking into consideration effects on bore condition, how hard to use, and effects on accuracy.

Guns are different, and so are patch material, balls, and shooters. Then there's the BP, Pyrodex or 777/availability delima. Too many variables to say what will work best, all effect the others, and what one man finds more important may not be the same as the next. But the input of everyone elses experiences helps me not to make the same mistakes, shows me what to watch for, and ultimately will help me find a (hopefully) good shooting combination for my rifle. Be nice if I don't have to go >150 mi one way to get the stuff either.

So yeah, I may go with Ballistol or some other lube ordered over the net. But I'd prefer to find something good that can be obtained locally. In any case tho, I 'preciate everyones help and input.

Dan

I use my own olive oil/beeswax mixture for patch lube and good ole CLP for a rust preventative. I have never noticed any tar build up using the CLP, but I do wipe my bore with a clean patch before loading for the first time and store my rifle muzzle down so oil doesn't build up in the breech. Chris

"The MLF is not a "debating stage"..."

Huh? :shocked2:

I have never used ballistol or a lot of lubes or protectants that many people rave about, as I found something that works for me and has for many years, I am cerainly sorry if this hurts anyone feelings, I never really considered that even a possibility :idunno:

We frequently are asked by new members what is causing their guns to FAIL TO FIRE. It often comes down to using petroleum based oils, and failing to flush them out with alcohol before loading the gun. The temperatures created in the breech of these guns simply is NOT HOT ENOUGH to burn completely these oils. You get, as a result, a combination of Hydro-carbons from the unburned oil, together with the carbon, graphite, sulfur, and potassium Nitrate residues as "GUNK" in the tiniest of places.

These generally are the small orifice in the nipple of percussion guns, and the flash channels of those same guns, and some flintlocks. To clean them, you end up using a wire( Nipple wire) to clean out the orifice in the nipple, and then use the same wire to clean out the narrow flash channel to the powder. As Necchi says, its a royal PITA to do, and a lot of unneeded headaches in the field. Flushing the gun with alcohol( or acetone), to dissolved the grease and oils before going shooting or hunting is the ONLY sane thing to do. Other than, that is, using a Non-petroleum( synthetic, or vegetable based) oil to lube that bore.

Since this is a traditional forum, we tend to recommend the use of vegetable based oils for use inside the bore of any gun, and stay away from the synthetics.

However, If you are going hunting in very low sub-zero temperatures in Alaska( -20 degree f. and lower), or the arctic- I have no idea what there would be to hunt in such cold conditions-- then the synthetics, made to lube Aircraft engines, is the only way to go.

Back