• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Petroleum Based Products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen references here to petroleum based cleaners and lubes being a bad thing. What specifically is wrong with them? Are all petroleum based products bad?

Dan

There's nothing wrong with the stuff persay,

The trouble occurs in the bore when oil is present in conjunction with the heat and pressure from firing a shot with BP or the subs.

For my lack of explaining better,, oil,heat and powder residue form and bond together in a tar like substance that sticks to the bore pluging the rifling. Once it happens all is not lost but it is a major PITA to clean out.

That said, I and many others do indeed protect and lube bores and other gun parts with various petrolium based gun oils. It's just a simple step to remember to clean the oils out with brake cleaner or alcohol before shooting, some just run a few dry patches. Extra care needs to be taken to clean the breech/snail/drum part of the fire channel cause oil can get trapped in there and lead too miss or hangfires because the cap blast is prevented from reaching the main charge with all it's gusto.

Petroleum oils are only evil if left in the bore before shooting.

As necchi said, when combined with BP fouling, petrol products create very hard to clean mess. I use Rem-oil to protect all of my muzzleloaders after cleaning and it works great. I just make sure to swab the bore before shooting to remove as much as possible to prevent buildup.

Your results may vary.

HD

Thanx both of you. If that's all I'll continue using them to clean and protect- but make sure to swab better before shooting.

I might hold off on using them as a patch lube tho. Was thinkin' of doin' some experimentin', but maybe not; at least not with petro-chem stuff.

Dan

Well, I'd sure enuf try th' Ballistol, if I had a local source.

Where do you get yours?

Dan

Here is a link to some testing I did several years ago to find out how petroleum oils react when black powder is ignited on them. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...p?tid/214118/post/492595/[/IMG]/fromsearch/1/

Remember, these tests were made using a "wet" surface coating of oil.

Some of the modern rust preventatives like Birchwood Casey Barricade leave a thin, almost dry coating but it is a good idea to wipe the bore with an alcohol patch before loading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it for patch lube.
I know it's water soluble.
Water is what I'm trying to keep away from my gun parts, internal and external.
It's simple, I don't use it as a protectant because what I use works.

If Ballistol works for you, that's good.
Others milage may very.

Jim, thanx for the link, and the effort! Was very informative. Seems all the petrol products did very poorly as lubes. While not mentioned in that thread, it also seems to indcate we should be wary of using petrol cleaners to wipe between shots- even with a very "dry" patch. Darn ...

Dan

Capper said:
No matter how well Ballistol does in these tests. Guys won't use it. I don't get it?
Pete, I'm in a small town/rural environment here, and out west that means a LONG ride in to any city sizeable enuf to have a store with more than 3 linear ft. of counter space devoted to black powder. If I can find something that both cleans and serves as a patch lube, then maybe I can talk them into stocking it locally as they could increase demand with a bit of "re-education". It'd be nice to have th' luxury of swingin' by and grabin' stuff on my way to th' range.

I may yet order some Ballistol, but I already have an inordinate ammt. of "surplus" stuff on my shelves. Heck, I got more shootin' stuff than any of the stores here (a lot more'n 3 lin ft, I can dernwelltellya!)! For instance, I was very glad I read someone's post on Lee Liq Allox bein' such a pain to clean, as I been eye'n my generouse suply of said product an' a' thinkin' 'bout it.

Dan

I'm in the same boat. My town is 2200 pop. I have to drive 30 miles to the next small town, but at least it has a gun shop. He's pretty cool though. I asked him if he'd get some Ballistol, and the next time I went there it was on the shelf.

I use it for everything. I clean the barrel after shooting. I protect the barrel in and out after cleaning. It makes my stock look like a refinish job. I also lube all the internals with it. It also perks up all the leather I have.

What I don't do is use it for patch lube. I like Mink Oil too much for that. Otherwise I would use it.

That's a lot for one product to do. Pretty much all a gun needs.

Mink oil, as in waterproffin' for boots? Might be a thot fer my tallow hole.

I'm also working up a dry patch for accuracy tho, and th' Ballistol might work well for that. Don't kno how well it'd sell for anyone to stock it, tho. Sadly, th' suppliers around here just tend to glaze over when talkin' stocking BP suplies; unless it's somethin' easy with one of their common suppliers.

Dan

DanC said:
Mink oil, as in waterproffin' for boots? Might be a thot fer my tallow hole.

I'm also working up a dry patch for accuracy tho, and th' Ballistol might work well for that. Don't kno how well it'd sell for anyone to stock it, tho. Sadly, th' suppliers around here just tend to glaze over when talkin' stocking BP suplies; unless it's somethin' easy with one of their common suppliers.

Dan

No, not the boot stuff.

This. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/cate...?catId=2&subId=25&styleId=67&partNum=MINK-OIL

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Well, there goes another local suplier ...

Thx for th' link tho.

Dan

Ballistol is just mineral oil, which is petroleum based. I got taken in by all of their advertising claims and found that like most claims it really doesn't measure up. Contrary to their claim it will dry to a hard gum. It is not a good rust inhibitor, probably OK for short term but not good for long term storage. I would not use it on wood or leather any more than I would use motor oil. It really is no better in any way than plain mineral oil one can buy at any drug or discount store for 1/4 the price of ballistol.

I've been using Ballistol for a patch lube and bore protectant for several years now. It works great. I can shoot all day without fouling build up, kind of cleans as you shoot. I have absolutely no problem with rust, in fact the gun shop owner where I get mine swears by the stuff. He used to use Rem-oil and always got rust on his guns in the humid summer months, he now wipes them down with Ballistol and hasn't had a problem since. As stated your experience may differ, but I love the stuff.

Back