• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli or ruger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of the thoughts.
  1. I have not competed in NMLRA pistol matches, though I have shot in 45 ACP and 22RF pistol matches, different game.
  2. Are adjustable sights legal in NMLRA pistol matches. If not, limits options a bit.
  3. Just an observation, but I find competitive shooting to be a monkey see monkey do game in many cases. What gun(s) are the other competitors shooting? What gun(s) are the consistent top competitors shooting?
Yes, most NMLRA venues allow adjustable sights. There is at least one six gun venue that requires original open non-adjustable sights I believe, although I forget it's technical name at the moment.
In wheel gun events many use ROAs and lots use Remington 58's tricked up !
Then there are the single shot pistols in slow fire events with both flint and percussion matches.
This is where you see the real tack driver guns and shooters show up and show off !
I have a pair of match grade Yazel single shot pistols in .36 cal, one percussion, the other flint and I believe If you could hold x's all day long either gun would deliver them for you!

Last edited:
A couple of the thoughts.
  1. I have not competed in NMLRA pistol matches, though I have shot in 45 ACP and 22RF pistol matches, different game.
  2. Are adjustable sights legal in NMLRA pistol matches. If not, limits options a bit.
  3. Just an observation, but I find competitive shooting to be a monkey see monkey do game in many cases. What gun(s) are the other competitors shooting? What gun(s) are the consistent top competitors shooting?
N’t really. I’ll listen to an argument for a GMC but I’ve never seen a hundred thousand mile Dodge Ram that I’d spend my money on… my last F150 went 275,000 with not a single issue. At one time we had a fleet of Fords and they were very good to us. Anyway… ;-)

Are you buying the pedersoli from midway or?
Yeah my explorer had 280,000 when I sold it.

Yeah my explorer had 280,000 when I sold it.
I'm still using my 1993 F-150, 300 cubic inch inline six cylinder with 272,000 miles, never had the engine cracked open and still doesn't use oil. I did use AMZ oil and Mobil one for the first 100k and am anal about oil and filter change every 3500 miles.
I've retired the old girl to a hunting and cabin drive truck and replaced her with a 2018 F-250 crew cab aluminum body 6.7 Diesel for the work truck so we'll see how this one does. Not so sure about the aluminum body but it is over 900 lbs lighter than the steel body models and they've been making airplanes of aluminum now for nearly 80 years or so.
Dang thing goes like a scalded dog with 440 hp and nearly 1K of torque and gets better mileage than the little truck does on he highway.
The down side is I can work on the little truck but barely recognize anything under the hood on this new one.
Kind of like a monkey in the cockpit of F-22 fighter jet ! 😄

Last edited:
I'm still using my 1993 F-150, 300 cubic inch inline six cylinder with 272,000 miles, never had the engine cracked open and still doesn't use oil. I did use AMZ oil and Mobil one for the first 100k and am anal about oil and filter change every 3500 miles.
I've retired the old girl to a hunting and cabin drive truck and replaced her with a 2018 F-250 crew cab aluminum body 6.7 Diesel for the work truck so we'll see how this one does. Not so sure about the aluminum body but it is over 900 lbs lighter than the steel body models and they've been making airplanes of aluminum now for nearly 80 years or so.
Dang thing goes like a scalded dog with 440 hp and nearly 1K of torque and gets better mileage than the little truck does on he highway.
The down side is I can work on the little truck but barely recognize anything under the hood on this new one.
Kind of like a monkey in the cockpit of F-22 fighter jet ! 😄
Baught my "last for me truck" in 2019. F150 . And the body is aluminum.

Yes, most NMLRA venues allow adjustable sights. There is at least one six gun venue that requires original open non-adjustable sights I believe, although I forget it's technical name at the moment.
In wheel gun events many use ROAs and lots use Remington 58's tricked up !
Then there are the single shot pistols in slow fire events with both flint and percussion matches.
This is where you see the real tack driver guns and shooters show up and show off !
I have a pair of match grade Yazel single shot pistols in .36 cal, one percussion, the other flint and I believe If you could hold x's all day long either gun would deliver them for you!
Thank you for introducing me to the Yazel, I had never heard of one and now I need one😁. Going to be damn hard to find though

Buy twice,cry twice.

Attachments

• 16929200037193335799331154662781.jpg
    16929200037193335799331154662781.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Ruger, Ruger , Ruger, and Ruger. There is NO other revolver that is held in such high esteem on this forum as the Old Army. Just look at the prices being asked to understand that this is the best there is. Some may disagree but they are uneducated trolls who don't dance in the daylight. 🙂
Agree

A $600 ROA would probably be in somewhat rough shape.

I got a non fired ROA for $600 including shipment. You just have to look a bit.

I too have and ROA of course but I never had a Ruger New Model Army. I surely would like to see one of those (grin).

Not a clue on the Pedersoli.

Its not an either or but what appeals to you. The ROA is an outstanding modern conception of a BP revolver. It works and it works beautifully well. A Pedersoli is going to be the old school reproduction part.

I had the Replica's first. Decided an ROA was required. Now I have the last replica I am going to buy, aka the 47 Walker.

Not really, asking for educated opinions. Hell I drive a f150 and think it's better than a dodge. I never even drove a dodge. So my opinion is based on fantasy!

Well I drive an F-250 and its been uber reliable. Dodge's come and go but the F-250 is here to stay.

2018 F-250 crew cab aluminum body 6.7 Diesel for the work truck so we'll see how this one does. Not so sure about the aluminum body but it is over 900 lbs lighter than the steel body models and they've been making airplanes of aluminum now for nearly 80 years or so.
Kind of like a monkey in the cockpit of F-22 fighter jet !

I had the choice of the old 7.3 Powerstorke (2500 extra in those days) on the F-250, could not convince myself it was the real deal. It was but the maint is also really costly (lots more oil and picky oil changes and the filters).

The 350 has worked just fine. No idea if I would have made up the added maint with offset of somewhat better fuel economy.

Ford has given up its small diesel. The gas engines with turbo works so good its not worth it. The 3.5 Eco boost

Over here in UK, the second-largest sales venue for the Ruger Old Army - ever - we have never seen a Ruger New Model Army.

Photo's please, or it didn't was.

Over here in UK, the second-largest sales venue for the Ruger Old Army
I know that when I was looking to pick up my first ROA, I saw some great prices on used ones in the UK. I contacted one seller who said that he would like to sell it to me but wasn’t sure what or how many hoops he would have to jump through to do so. So I was unable to take advantage of the good deals over there.

I was unaware that you all were the 2nd largest market for them, interesting!

Over here in UK, the second-largest sales venue for the Ruger Old Army - ever - we have never seen a Ruger New Model Army.

Photo's please, or it didn't was.
Correct me if wrong but i ‘think’ the ROA is a 4 click hammer, and the RNA has a transfer bar.
Same with the Ruger Single Six 22, I have the New Model/transfer bar, although’New’ is academic. It was made in 1976.

I know that when I was looking to pick up my first ROA, I saw some great prices on used ones in the UK. I contacted one seller who said that he would like to sell it to me but wasn’t sure what or how many hoops he would have to jump through to do so. So I was unable to take advantage of the good deals over there.

I was unaware that you all were the 2nd largest market for them, interesting!

When our cartridge-firing handguns were taken off us in '96-7 - except in Northern Ireland - there was a mad rush to carry on shooting a big handgun. We were still allowed to have any kind of BP loose-loading handgun, and the ROA fitted that need perfectly. Literally hundreds were bought as a result of that government decision. Mine was bought in 1986.

Correct me if wrong but i ‘think’ the ROA is a 4 click hammer, and the RNA has a transfer bar.
Same with the Ruger Single Six 22, I have the New Model/transfer bar, although’New’ is academic. It was made in 1976.

I can't correct you as I've never bothered to count clicks on my ROA, and it certainly does not have any kind of transfer bar, something that might work with a centre-fire revolver, but totally absent on a percussion revolver of any kind that I'VE ever seen.

BTW, today I looked at seven ROA's in my local dealership - they were all exactly the same as mine, except that two were blued.

Latest posts

Back