• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli or ruger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have been wanting the pedersoli, I may lean that way. I have never seen or shot one, but I do have a ruger. The ruger is a nice gun and I do love it, but they are a dime a dozen, they are literally everywhere. Gun broker has about 20 on there site at any given time. The pedersoli is more rare by those metrics. I would suggest owning both in due time. If it was me I would buy the pedersoli now and the ruger any day of the week you have extra money to spend. They will always be there... Atleast for the foreseeable future.

Bad Karma - is that 50 yd target offhand or resting the gun? If that's offhand I want a tumor too!
Hah! I’ll trade with anybody wants it! But yeah, shot it rested on the tonneau cover of my trusty Tacoma. What passes for a bench rest most of the time. That gun does shoot well for me, in spite of the sights or because of them, I’m still trying to figure that out. I’ve had it for 60 years, maybe my favorite single action.

Used Ruger $600
New in box ruger $1100
New in box Pedersoli $1100
A $600 ROA would probably be in somewhat rough shape.

I own 3, 2 stainless and one Blu, all in original boxes all in excellent shape and all purchased within the last year or so. The blu was the best price at less than $800 and I would be willing to bet that it had never been fire. One of the stainless ones came with a conversion cylinder and was less than a grand.

As someone else mentioned, they are always on GB but often at high asking prices.

When I was first looking I found some real bargains overseas but only one seller answered my email and he said that he didn’t want to even try selling to someone outside of his country.

Find a cow patty, hit it with 600 grit paper, followed by gold spray paint and you have a pedersorry.

You'll be all in for 8 bucks.

That's 4 lottery tickets.

Last edited:
Ok, I have owned or own a number of 1858s, from original Remingtons, Pietta and Uberti. The Uberti are long gone. I have also owned a number of Ruger Old Model Army, though I have owned no Ruger New Model Army, and I am just not familiar with that particular model. I have not owned the Pedersoli Remington Pattern Target gun, but I have handled and shot one. If you are looking for a ‘1858 Remington’ looking target gun, the Pedersoli may fill the bill, thought the matted/sandblasted finish on the one I shot looked very contemporary. The owner of the gun claimed, though I never confirmed it, that the Pedersoli was made using an Uberti frame and some Uberti parts would fit (for example, he stated an Uberti cylinder would fit his Pedersoli). The Pedersoli was as accurate as the Pietta Target guns I have shot, and similar accuracy could be said of the Rugers, though a lot depends on who is behind the trigger. For me, the big selling point of the Ruger was its durability. I was shooting SASS and while nothing else made it through more that a few matches without human intervention, the Rugers just kept on going. And going.

I am not an expert by any stretch, but @45D probably is, and someone who’s opinion should carry some weigh, likely having handled more cap and ball pistols than most anyone else on the forum. I believe he is the owner of Goons Gun Works.
Goons Gun Works Hopefully Mike will check in and offer his opinion.

Thanks for the mention sir!! Probably not much help in this situation but I do own examples of all the platforms I work on. I will say that my Dragoons are extremely accurate, as are my '60's. Then again, my ammo is different . . . My Remington is a Pietta example and is an excellent shooter as well, others seem to like it when I shoot with friends. EVERYBODY likes the '60's!! I've never shot a Pedersoli Remington but my understanding is the after market barrel is the "secret sauce" and is mainly what you're paying for.
I own 5 ROA's and all of them shoot very well and all are in mint condition. As with all other examples of any set of revolvers, one stands out over the rest of the group in the accuracy dept. I will say though, the group as a whole is impressive!!
So, not really much help . . .

Mike

Just curious have you shot one?
No, Sir. But I've owned/own a lot of Ruger wheel guns. Old Vaqueros. New Vaqueros. New Blackhawks, Super Redhawks. SP101s. Etc.

In my utterly biased opinion, Ruger makes the best wheel guns.

With respect, you asked folks to help you decide.

Yet you question the Pro-Ruger recommendations.

It sounds like you really want to buy that Pedo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention sir!! Probably not much help in this situation but I do own examples of all the platforms I work on. I will say that my Dragoons are extremely accurate, as are my '60's. Then again, my ammo is different . . . My Remington is a Pietta example and is an excellent shooter as well, others seem to like it when I shoot with friends. EVERYBODY likes the '60's!! I've never shot a Pedersoli Remington but my understanding is the after market barrel is the "secret sauce" and is mainly what you're paying for.
I own 5 ROA's and all of them shoot very well and all are in mint condition. As with all other examples of any set of revolvers, one stands out over the rest of the group in the accuracy dept. I will say though, the group as a whole is impressive!!
So, not really much help . . .

Mike
Get back to work Mike! :ghostly:

I have an ROA. I have not shot it in many many years. I seem to be hung up on my new to me .36 sherrif model (being goonerized as we speak) and my new pietta 1851. I wont sell it but the ROA has been resting lately. LOVE Those 1851 platforms. (see above). 1849 likley next goonerization. Those little sherrifs and 1849 are sooo cool and my 1851 is as accurate as the ROA all day.

Used Ruger $600
New in box ruger $1100
New in box Pedersoli $1100
Maybe you could cut a deal and buy both. Then decide which one you like and sell the other one. Any pictures of the used Ruger. is it blued or stainless. I have a blued one thinking of a stainless in the future. Going to have to go back to work to many gun projects on the horizon, Kibler kit, stainless old army, and a pre 64 mod. 70 Winchester I been wanting to do for a few years now, along with a hunt in Wyoming and a sika deer hunt.

No, Sir. But I've owned/own a lot of Ruger wheel guns. Old Vaqueros. New Vaqueros. New Blackhawks, Super Redhawks. SP101s. Etc.

In my utterly biased opinion, Ruger makes the best wheel guns.

With respect, you asked folks to help you decide.

Yet you question the Pro-Ruger recommendations.

It sounds like you really want to buy that Pedo.
Not really, asking for educated opinions. Hell I drive a f150 and think it's better than a dodge. I never even drove a dodge. So my opinion is based on fantasy!

Me, I'd get the $600 ROA. Seems like a good price to me - and you could possibly even get it for less considering that's the asking price? If it's in good condition, just normal wear with an excellent bore, I'd jump on it.

Back