• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock Rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks too everyone :hatsoff:
Dern stain is taking longer to dry than i thought or would be posting pics of a finished rifle.
I did put some sights on it and rode up too the local BP shop (50 miles) and got some 54 balls.
Slowmatch looks to be about dry so should be test firing soon.
I don`t think it`s going to need a spring but if it does i will make up a flat spring. :)

So,Pitchy, when can we hear your virgin making Booommmm.Can't wait to see the results.
:hatsoff:

Pasquenel said:
:wink: Pitchy I use 3 Tablespoons / litre of Salts:water. I have made over 10' of slo-match and there's plenty left. The reason why there is a crust on the cord is that the solution is too saturated and the crust is a waste of the nitrates, gets all over the place and rusts anything it comes in contact with. My match burns slowly and steady justa puff before I shoot and away we go. YMHS :thumbsup:

That`s thin compared to the other mixture, i 3/4
cup per the 2 liter????????

Your right undertaker, the stain is just about dry, where the knots are it sure is dull looking, will the tongue oil shine that up?
Was just out trying the slowmatch in the lock, seems to burn good but unless ya blow on it and get it really bright it doesn`t seem too light the powder. I`m using ffff should i be using something else, are there some tricks??
Thanks

PitchyPine said:
I`m using ffff should i be using something else, are there some tricks??
Thanks
I think 4f will work very good. :grin:

All the matchlock shooters i saw still blow on the slowmatch before they shot.And don't forget, both ends are burning.
musketeer2.jpg

Musketenfeuer-1.jpg

Here are the orders, or words of command, under the 1668 title of "The Compleat Body of the Art Military," laid down for the practice of the manual of arms (i.e. for such as used the muskets).

1. Stand to your arms
2. Take up your bandoleers
3. Put on your bandoleers
4. Take up your match
5. Place your match
6. Take up your rest
7. Put the string of your rest about your left wrist
8. Take up your musket
9. Rest your musket
10. Poise your musket
11. Shoulder your musket
12. Unshoulder your musket and poise
13. Join your rest to the outside of your musket
14. Open your pan
15. Clear your pan

16. Prime your pan
17. Shut your pan
18. Cast off your loose corns
19. Blow off your loose corns and bring about your musket to the left side
20. Trail your rest
21. Balance your musket in your left hand
22. Find out your charge
23. Open your charge
24. Charge with powder
25. Draw forth your scouring stick
26. Turn and shorten him to an inch
27. Charge with bullet
28. Put your scouring stick into your musket
29. Ram home your charge
30. Withdraw your scouring stick
31. Turn and shorten him to a handfull
32. Return your scouring stick
33. Bring forward your musket and rest
34. Join your rest to the outside of your musket
35. Draw forth your match
36. Blow your coal
37. Cock your match
38. Fit your match
39. Guard your pan
40. Blow the ashes from your coal
41. Open your pan
42. Present upon your rest
43. Give fire, breast high
44. Dismount your musket joining the rest to the outside of the musket
45. Uncock and return your match
46. Clear your pan
47. Shut your pan
48. Poise your musket
49. Rest your musket
50. Set your musket off the rest and set the butt end on the ground
51. Lay down your musket
52. Lay down your match
53. Take your rest into your right hand clearing the string from your left wrist
54. Lay down your rest
55. Take off your bandoleers
56. Lay down your bandoleers

Understandable :shocked2:

Well here it is, pics are kind of far away i will get some better ones.
Shot awesome, absolutley no delay in ignition :applause: not a bad group for off hand at 18 yards with new sights.
Only loaded it with 45 grains could hardly feel it kick, gun is heavy.
I`m one happy pup right now. :)

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

shootingbest.jpg

target-1.jpg

Strykerdlh said:
:shocked2: WOW!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
I can hardly believe it myself, that thing works perfect. Went out and shot another ball and put it in the same group. I made the front post sight high so i can file it down and bring her right in. :thumbsup:

Roy said:
Great Pics Pitchy :thumbsup: looks good :grin: :hatsoff:

Thanks Roy i appreciate the kind words. :bow:
The stain is a little rough feeling, can i smooth that somehow before i put the tongne oil on it.
Wet sand with fine paper maybe?

Latest posts

Back