• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock Rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie said:
About the location of this post.
IMO, "This Is The Place".
The Pre-Flint, Flintlock, Percussion and Pistol Forums are for talking about shooting the guns.
This is the forum for talking about building/modifying all of them so you came to the right place. :)

zonie :)

That`s cool Zonie and that`s why i asked if ya wanted it in both forums in my other thread, if i make something out of that chunk of wood i`ll post pics of it in that forum.
Should be a fun project and i hope everyone llikes it. :thumbsup:

Keep on posting your building photos right here.

When you get around to shooting your new gun, post the experiance (and shooting photos) over there. :)
zonie :)

Wheeeeeeeeeeee am i having fun yet, i must be crazy :youcrazy:
Well i got a trench ground, routered in it but i didn`t have enough wood height for the tang :shocked2: so i`m gluing on a piece. That should be ok the screw that goes in the tang will help hold it in place.
You guys that work with wood and build these guns i give tons of respect. :bow: :bow:

stockinvicerouter.jpg

stockgluedonpiecetang.jpg

I ended up with some voids in the barrel recess :redface: , what would be the best thing to put under the barrel too bed it in?
And how do ya do it, i`d like to put something in there then clamp the barrel down to form it then remove the barrel. How do i keep it from sticking to the barrel. Woodputty?
Thanks.

Microbed or Acraglass Gel are easy to use.I prefer using a paste wax for a release agent over the stuff supplied with the AcraGlass though.Some people have even used Bondo for bedding :grin:

Thanks, so do ya wax up the barrel so ya can lift it off the bedding material without it sticking. Do ya let the beding material set up a little before removing the barrel. I get over this hurdle i`m on a roll. :)

The paste wax I have is 30 year old Aero Paste Wax for hardwood floors I picked up at a yard sale.I put on a good coat on the metal and for a barrel I do the whole thing and wax the first inch or so inside the muzzle(just incase,do you know Murphy : ) ) I let that dry and skin a bit then put another coat on.

Mix enough goo to fill all the voids you think you will encounter once barrel is put in and before putting barrel in put in just a tad more goo(remember Murphy),Put the barrel in place,adjust and clamp with c clamps and strips of wood to protect stock and barrel.Give the muzzle a good rap with a rubber mallet to seat the breach.
Leave the works set and just scrape off excess that oozes out with a stick.Leave it to set up for 8-12 hours.

another trick for keeping the Acraglass from sticking is to use plastic wrap around the barrel, make sure you got all the wrinkles out. I though they didn't make Microbed any more, that stuff is great.

I use Acraglas from Brownells .[url] http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1038&title=ACRAGLAS+GEL~[/url]

Make sure that the barrel is not more then half way
into the wood if you ever want the barrel to come out.

I stain the wood first to what ever color I need/want it
to be. Then use masking tape where I don’t want the
acraglas to go, makes it easier to clean up. Stain the
acraglas to the same or darker color that you have
stained the stock.

The Acraglas kits can be gotten at any good gunshop,
gunsmith or ordered on line.

Good luck

Tinker2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks gents :hatsoff:
I ended up using bondo, had some on hand, it came out real nice and once the barrel is in it will stay in for a long time.
This is how i`m going to attach the barrel to the stock, made and welded on three threaded lugs.

barrellugs.jpg

Barrel is installed, will use brass 1/4 inch screws on final assembly.
Now i can finally make some metal parts. :haha: :)

barrelinstalled.jpg

Now i have to decide whether too stain dark or leave it natural birch, i`m leaning toward dark????

sanded1.jpg

Your reading my mind :bow: i just happen too have some dark walnut, thanks gents. :thumbsup:
Tomorrow i should get the lock made. :)

Back