• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No new builds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the Hawken out of the safe and measured the pull, 14 1/2", a full 1" over my length of pull. It's so long I can hardly shoulder it. Shortening the stock 1" would shorten the width at the butt a full 1/2" and in my mind would look funny and lose the Hawken profile. So I'm leaning now toward buying the blank, transferring the buttplate, toe plate, tang, trigger, trigger guard, and lock to the new blank and I'd have something that fits me and looks right.

Red..........All the guns I've used over the past 70 yrs. , both ctg. , and m/l I've , have had to shorten the length of pull , to like 12 1/2 " to 13 ". To my view , none of them looked odd. Is what it is. A gun that fits , will be accurate.

For years friends used to leave their new fishing rods at my house so their wives wouldn't see them. Finally figured out if I just gave the rods a rub down with blood and scales, they could bring them home and nothing was ever said. Got to be a way to camo the next build to save some grief.

This is almost evil , on my part. The wife was on my case to cut the grass once , about 40 yrs. ago. I had the transmission appart on the riding lawn mower , which was a perfect cover to clean up some gun parts using the same basin of kerosene. I cleaned the cosmoline from the rifle parts , and threw a few more transmission parts in the wash basin to mask over what was really going on. The result was, I did clean up the rifle parts , and fixed the lawn tractor , and cut the grass. Man's gotta do what a man's got ta do. The wife congratulated me on fixing the tractor , and cutting the two acres of lawn , and I got my gun parts finished with no grief from , "da boss."

I promised my wife no new rifle builds, ever. I have 5 rifles and one smoothbore I built in the safe now so she has a point. But I have an Ithaca Hawken I built from their kit in 1978 that I've never been pleased with and am thinking of doing a re-build on it. She never said anything about re-builds. It is walnut stocked, German silver escutcheons, pewter nose cap, .50. I prefer plain maple for Hawkens anyway so a new maple plank would be in order and I could shorten the pull which is too long and the lock moldings aren't right. Replace with iron escutcheons and nose cap probably from The Hawken Shop. Maybe rebore and rerifle to .54. It would be a fun project for me and wouldn't break the bank. Be like having a new rifle. The cheaper version would be to reshape the lock moldings and maybe shorten the pull and leave the caliber alone. Decisions, decisions.

View attachment 269425
I don’t like this on so many levels. It’s really a depressing read.
You did make a promise.
Restocking a perfectly good rifle means destroying a perfectly good rifle.
A “restock” is a new build.
You did make a promise.
I don’t like the fact you had to make that promise but it was made.
You have 5
You have at least one you are not happy with
I suggest you liquidate some of the “five” and renegotiate like a man.

This deal of acting like a 16 year old trying to get one over on “mommy” ain’t going to work.

I don’t like this on so many levels. It’s really a depressing read.
You did make a promise.
Restocking a perfectly good rifle means destroying a perfectly good rifle.
A “restock” is a new build.
You did make a promise.
I don’t like the fact you had to make that promise but it was made.
You have 5
You have at least one you are not happy with
I suggest you liquidate some of the “five” and renegotiate like a man.

This deal of acting like a 16 year old trying to get one over on “mommy” ain’t going to work.
You and others missed the point of the post. It's not about me negotiating with my wife of 58 years, it's about me negotiating with myself on how to make this gun usable. We get along fine and if I wanted to buy parts for a new gun she wouldn't say anything. I just promised myself I don't need a new gun, just fix the old one.

Last edited:
Back