• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the black powder revolver industry dying out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Conservation club/gun range where I shoot has seen quite an uptick in membership. Lots of younger adults are members now.
But black powder shooters are very few and far between. Most of them even consider smokeless powder revolvers to be antiques and are not interested.

You can't just drop a cartridge cylinder in an Uberti '73 cap gun and have a cartridge shooter.

If a felon can't get his/her gun rights back, they can't assemble one either. It'd be easier/ cheaper to buy one black market ( no background check either) than spend 700 -800 to assemble one yourself.
I think posts like these raise flags more than offer any info.

Mike
Yea, that's what I was thinking too. Felons would have contacts to buy probably stolen guns on the blackmarket.
I can't imagine a gang banger willing to put up with a 6 shot cylinder of smokeless that takes 10 minutes to reload.

Watching Clint Eastwood clean his civil war era revolver in Good, Bad, Ugly. Looked pretty simple. He managed to put it back together, load, and shoot pretty fast.

I guess yours is a boring existence cause @ 74 there ain't enough hrs in the day !!! I consider 4AM sleeping in on a Sunday morning if not at the range /fishing or building long range loads for the 700 yd private range /practicing @ the short (190 yards private range) on the 1700 acre /2 (ponds) stocked of which I am a 1 of 62 share holders ,also live on grounds of said 1700 acres (1 of 16 ) living on site . IN spite of being a owner of a small corp when I retired so did my income , so no I don't hoard and buy everything nailed down . I did what lots of folks did in my age bracket did wife and I saved /raised kids /planned ahead and had the funds to buy what was needed . Live debt free/owe no body nothing except the wife from saving me from myself ( could have been like you describe ) but I guess I'm the lucky one . I feel sorry for those that couldn't/wouldn't /Ed
Bingo! Dont hate the Player...Hate the Game.....SM

Seems there's just not much interest especially online except in small websites like that. Really can't even find black powder revolver a in bigger outdoor stores either. I know it's real big in Europe because from what I can tell they aren't allowed much else. But here in the u.s it's a different story. Most gun owners i feel don't pay these things much mind. Responsible felons seem to like them to have something at least. Only a few places I feel sell replacement parts. So is it dying out or getting bigger? Or stagnant? I love black powder by the way
Maybe not dying, but certainly not thriving. If they were in high demand, we would see American production.

what is the point of the cattleman then? its a 73 frame with the cartridge port and a percussion cylinder. makes zero sense?? you telling me they don't make a cartridge cylinder for that thing?
They do, and unless you have a machine shop and some skill, you can’t convert it to fire cartridges.

You can't just drop a cartridge cylinder in an Uberti '73 cap gun and have a cartridge shooter.

If a felon can't get his/her gun rights back, they can't assemble one either. It'd be easier/ cheaper to buy one black market ( no background check either) than spend 700 -800 to assemble one yourself.
I think posts like these raise flags more than offer any info.

Mike
So right. Me, a law abiding citizen with no record of any kind, was able to procure 2 cartridge revolvers, that cannot possibly be traced to me. And imagine what felons can acquire thru prison connections.
I acquired these in mid-70s, probably could still do today. One i traded a dirt bike for to a guy who took in trade for fixing some guy’s garage door. The other is too complicated to explain. Had a guy wanted to sell me a fairly new Colt Python.357. I cannot believe I passed on that one. Regrets, I have a few.

Last edited:
I think it's stronger than ever with More guns to choose from. Possibly a lot of the buyers are felons going straight for the cartridge conversion route to get a gun without a background check. The most obvious of these is the Uberti Cattleman. It's a 73 frame complete with cartridge loading port that comes with a percussion cylinder for no reason other than to circumvent the law. Throw away the percussion cylinder and huck in a regular 45lc cylinder and it,s a normally functioning SAA with no background check..
Oh, would need to change hammer (the firing pin).

Percussion revolvers require no justification to own.
It is a passion and hobby, as well as a shooting sport.
People will have many different ones Because they
are different, which to the enthusiast makes them
collectible. The love for these revolvers was created,
for many, because they were the side-arms of their
Hero's growing up. Gene Autry, the Lone Ranger,
Roy Rodgers and others who captured the young
minds as they tamed the wild wild west. True most
were not percussion in Hollywood but the era they
portrayed did predominantly use percussion versions
of their firearms. In any case they are very cool classic tools.

Back