• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the black powder revolver industry dying out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexicangringo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Seems there's just not much interest especially online except in small websites like that. Really can't even find black powder revolver a in bigger outdoor stores either. I know it's real big in Europe because from what I can tell they aren't allowed much else. But here in the u.s it's a different story. Most gun owners i feel don't pay these things much mind. Responsible felons seem to like them to have something at least. Only a few places I feel sell replacement parts. So is it dying out or getting bigger? Or stagnant? I love black powder by the way

I don’t think it’s dying out. I think more people have them than are willing to admit. I’m finding more and more people that own them in my area. Most just dont know how to properly use or clean them. I went to a small black powder shoot in my area last weekend. Many brought the pistols but weren’t using them. I showed and helped many people how to load them. I also explained how I cleaned them. I think some folks are just fearful of trying them for the first time.

I don’t think it’s dying out. I think more people have them than are willing to admit. I’m finding more and more people that own them in my area. Most just dont know how to properly use or clean them. I went to a small black powder shoot in my area last weekend. Many brought the pistols but weren’t using them. I showed and helped many people how to load them. I also explained how I cleaned them. I think some folks are just fearful of trying them for the first time.
Exactly. Some men have masculinity issues with them too. It's weird

Seems there's just not much interest especially online except in small websites like that. Really can't even find black powder revolver a in bigger outdoor stores either. I know it's real big in Europe because from what I can tell they aren't allowed much else. But here in the u.s it's a different story. Most gun owners i feel don't pay these things much mind. Responsible felons seem to like them to have something at least. Only a few places I feel sell replacement parts. So is it dying out or getting bigger? Or stagnant? I love black powder by the way

It’s the shooters that are dying out.
And so is black powder shooting in general.

I also don't think they are dying away. Lots of people are buying them. I have had so much bidding against me at auctions i have yet to win one. I bought my Uberti 1860 from DGW's for less than used ones were going for.
I won my 58 Remington 36 and Colt pocket 31 on Gunbroker, cheap, musta caught days when no bidders were interested.
My 51 Colt Navy 36, auctions were going so high so often i gave up and bought new from M&M cheaper than used at auction. All Ubertis.

I have to believe that the percussion cap shortage has put a crimp in sales. When I see them in the case at Cabela's I wonder who spends money on a new gun for which ammunition is difficult, if not impossible, to find?
I LOVE my 3 Revolvers. And i do have enough caps stored to last to about end of year if i ration range time. But if by next spring still same situation with cap scarcity, they will be sold on GB and I’ll put the profits in my boat gas tank for the next 2 years.
Not having a thousand dollars of useless metal on display serving no purpose.

I also think it was the percussion cap shortages and black powder as well. But having a percussion revolver or a rifle really sucked if you could not buy caps for them. Then black powder is/was a problem too. Thus people tended to put them on the back burner as they couldn’t shoot them. Heck even trying to find primers was a huge problem too.

There may be some trepidation on the part of retailers considering the available cylinders that change the characteristics of the revolvers.

I think the "old school" shooters are thinning out as they age. Those of us raised in the bicentennial era, and with the love of the old west/history, are fewer and farther between. Folks just dont get involved in stuff as much anymore. Centerfire shooting is more care free, and tends to appeal more to the younger shooter. There are fewer craftsmen and "do it yourselfers", which are the breed black powder appeals to. I certainly think the sport took a hit over the past several years with the scarcity of powder/primers, etc. The casual shooters who used to show up at our BP club now dont...saying they cant get thier stuff. They just werent as dedicated to keep digging, find substitutes, and went to thier other hobbies that were lower maintenance.

Back