• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm Still Shaking! Placed Order for Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That IS good news! Now that you have permission to test fire, be sure to take advantage offered. Don't be afraid to try more powder than suggested up to a full pan. fffg will work in the pan if you don't have ffffg, so don't be concerned about that, but it MUST be real blackpowder.

IF your OCD convinces you that the touch hole off center must be changed, be aware than even a 3/8" liner will only allow the center line to move 1/16". Measure the current location and see how far off center it is. If its more than 1/16", the pan can be widened.

A good thing from TOW. I wouldn't fill the pan over half; the ignition will be faster than with a full pan. Take advantage of their generous offer and give us a report.

Yes this is good news for you. Take full advantage of this. Please report back to us your findings. I'm going with 'it works fine'.

edit- sorry should of been in response to Bearkiller

Well I just got home from the charity shoot. I could use some charity about now. :( I shot at 18 targets and had 18 hang fires. :cursing: I managed to hit 10 in a row 11 total but talk about follow through. I had to hold on target for a good 1 or 2 seconds waiting for the gun to go off!

The Tom Fuller flint lasted about 8 shots before an old timer on the range knapped it to a razors edge and got it sparking again. I don't know. Well I do know the gun's going back to TOTW. They won't be in 'til Mon though.

I get that a flinter can have a delay but this is
ridiculous. My two Traditions flinters crack right off and they were half the price for both.....I guess my quest for a custom rifle will continue...

I have only built 4 guns, my second was twice as well put together as your prospect, I think it is a very sloppy build and would send it back just for that reason.

That touch hole position would drive me nuts as well.

When I first got into flintlocks I bought a TC gun, the touch hole was in the back corner of the pan, the gun hang fired a lot so I sent the gun back to TC. They sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with the gun. I later ordered another TC online and it showed up with the same bad touch hole position. This made me very picky about touch hole position. The TC guns are long gone, I don't want another.

I am so picky that this slightly off center liner bothered me on my third build. I know, about 1/64" off, but it still isn't centered

E8Z2ylG.jpg

A Tip Curtis gun would cost about the same, be ready for delivery with no wait and be put together properly.

I just finished a rifle where I placed the touchhole slightly to the rear of center (long story). In fact, from your picture, it looks like mine is as much off-center to the rear as yours is to the front.

Took it to the range for the first time this past Friday. It shoots great, with no delay or misfires.

Recommend you not worry about it for now and don't make any adjustment until you shoot it a few times.

It it does turn out to be a problem, I've heard of two possible fixes. One, already mentioned, is to widen the pan. The second is to remove the liner, tap in a steel screw (ensuring its length does not protrude into the barrel) and file the head flush with the flat. You can then redrill and retap the liner in the center position.

Has anyone out there actually tried that?

Seems to me that all the ones who want you to send it back because of "sloppy build" want you to return it so they can buy it - "take it off your hands"------hhhmmmmm.

MN284 said:
Seems to me that all the ones who want you to send it back because of "sloppy build" want you to return it so they can buy it - "take it off your hands"------hhhmmmmm.
I would totally disagree with that assessment. Most of the ppl here that are saying its a sloppy build,would simply build a better riflle than that,if they so desired that particular style...I would send it back on the offset touch hole liner alone...others have found other things they didn't care for. I'd bet that rifle was well over 2000$ and I'd NEVER pay that, with the amount if defects it has..... My two cents.

S.kenton said:
MN284 said:
I would totally disagree with that assessment. Most of the ppl here that are saying its a sloppy build,would simply build a better riflle than that,if they so desired that particular style...I would send it back on the offset touch hole liner alone...others have found other things they didn't care for. I'd bet that rifle was well over 2000$ and I'd NEVER pay that, with the amount if defects it has..... My two cents.

I don't think anyone wants this rifle at this point. I actually paid $1700 for it which I thought was a deal at the time. If I'd known the touch hole was off center I wouldn't have bought it. I let TOTW know this in an email I just sent to them. Their own ad for this gun stated:

"A vent liner is positioned well above the bottom of the pan, centered on the heat of the flash. If your flint longrifle suffers from that infamous slow whoosh-bang ignition delay, study the work of today's best gun makers, and position your vent well centered on the pan, high above the bottom, to serve as a window on the center of the flash."

I far as I'm concerned that's false advertisement. I told them I shouldn't have to pay return shipping because of this. The balls in their court now....

Don't hold your breath on TOTW paying return shipping despite their not pointing out that the touch hole location wasn't proper.

[quote

I far as I'm concerned that's false advertisement. I told them I shouldn't have to pay return shipping because of this.
[/quote]
I agree... they should have inspected the rifle and noted any defects.. then advertised as such. I’m not sure they will pay for shipping back to them, if they do they may send a shipping label..if not at least they allowed for a longer inspection period and allowed you to shoot the rifle.

MN284 said:
I would't touch that gun with a 10 foot pole...

Black Hand said:
...would not...

Agreed, hope you get your money back.

Unless I could physically pick that rifle up and inspect every inch... Wood finishing, metal to wood fit, stock symmetry, mountings, lock, you name it I wouldn't be buying it.

Never bought a rifle from anyone like TOTW because I am to OCD to buy something someone else may have botched and from a builder I don't know. I trust myself knowing it's done right, or if a mistake is made I can correctly fix the issue.

What you have IMO is sloppy work/ rushing that could have been avoided on the part of whoever built it. Unfortunately most individuals get burned when they are new to the game not knowing what to look for. From my dealings with TOTW they are good people and should (hopefully) take care of you. :hatsoff:

I think TOTW would take care of you on shipping. If not, at least you can send it back and get most of your money back.
I agree about getting one off of Tip Curtis. You could get one of his for $1600 and it would be new. The only thing he doesn't do is brown or blue the barrel and lock, but most of the original ones weren't browned or blued back then either.

Bearkiller said:
I shot at 18 targets and had 18 hang fires. :cursing:

Honestly I am kinda amazed you had that experience. Just to make sure all bases are covered. You didnt have your priming charge against the flash hole did you? Doing so creates a fuse effect.

Since you mention having 2 other flintlocks I assume you know your business then but its always possible to overlook something.

Personally I would send it back then. Sure you can fix it to get to to shoot but you shouldnt have to do that with a rifle you paid $1700 for.

I hope you have better luck with the next one!

Boomer said:
Bearkiller said:
I shot at 18 targets and had 18 hang fires. :cursing:

Honestly I am kinda amazed you had that experience. Just to make sure all bases are covered. You didnt have your priming charge against the flash hole did you? Doing so creates a fuse effect.

No one is more amazed than I was. Believe me this is not my first rodeo. I bought my first flinter 30 years ago. Still have it. It's a Traditions Hawken a paid $140 new. I did have to take a dremel to deepen the pan and enlarge the touch hole. Don't recall ever having a hang fire with it. Flash in the pan, no spark sure but nothing like this.

With this new rifle I banked the prime away from the hole. I always pick the hole before I prime. The touch hole on this rifle is so low and the pan so shallow you can hardly put much prime in it anyways. I don't feel I should have to dremel, relocate, or do anything to this rifle to make it fire correctly. Frustrating...

Back