• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Flintlock History

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 63 years young bd just got into black powder firearms. A friend of mine asked me if I was interested in some BP guns one of his family members wanted to sell. I said sure so sight unseen I bought 5 rifles for $750 a couple of months ago.
This is what I got for that.
2009 Lyman LH .54 GPR that’s looks like it’s new. A CVA mountain rifle USA made .45 cal made in 1971, a Jack Garner .40 cal flintlock, a Navy Arms(pedersoli) early 70’s .50 and another rifle not pictured that I have not researched.

So I just got into flintlocks A month ago and think I am hooked.
I’ll include a pic of my small but inexpensive collection. Thinking I did ok.

Attachments

• IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I am 63 years young bd just got into black powder firearms. A friend of mine asked me if I was interested in some BP guns one of his family members wanted to sell. I said sure so sight unseen I bought 5 rifles for $750 a couple of months ago.
2009 Lyman LH .54 GPR that’s looks like it’s new. A CVA mountain rifle USA made .45 cal made in 1971, a Jack Garner .40 cal flintlock, a Navy Arms(pedersoli) early 70’s .50 and another rifle not pictured that I have not researched.

The Det. Spl. kept many officers safe. Six shots and a full 2" barrel, both of which S&W didn't have and still does not. Although we can't talk about that hear, it was a terrific defense weapon; still is.

Dad wanted a CVA flintlock pistol kit for xmas. He was like a kid when he opened it up, and was pleased as peach working on it. That was the first ML or flintlock I ever shot. He passed forty years ago, but as time went by my interest in shooting steered more to the single shot. In the mid eighties I got my first ML rifle, a Traditions .54 cal. mountain style rifle. I had a long progression from there including several inlines, which I never enjoyed as much.
I always enjoyed the traiditonal skills, making my own powder horns, shoulder bags, knives, etc. A few years ago I joined a black powder club nearby (Lock Stock and Barrel, Fulton NY) and started shooting more regularly. Going to a flintlock seemed a natural progression.

Back in the 70's I got a Dixie, left hand, .50, Mountain Rifle. I loved it but it had 'Made in Japan' on the top of the barrel and because of that I never could warm up to it. I sold it and it was many rears before I could replace it. I still like the lines of that Dixie rifle and have made a couple like it over the years, a bit more refined and more historically correct though, I hope.
Robin

Bought my TC .50 Hawken flint in 1971 barely out of high school. Brand new. Shot thousands of rounds. Always said it was my most prized possession, and it was, if ever house fire be first thing out the door.
House fire in 2014, trying to get wife, kids, cat out a burning house, it was the last thing on my mind.
It got heat damage, urethane on stock bubbled, browning on barrel peeled off.
Been trying to find someone can restore it for me to no luck.
I could buy another but it wouldn’t be mine.
So it sits over the fireplace. As is.
PS dont tell me how to restore it, been thru that for almost 10 years. No wood or barrel skills to do myself.

Oops. Sorry.
Dad wanted a CVA flintlock pistol kit for xmas. He was like a kid when he opened it up, and was pleased as peach working on it. That was the first ML or flintlock I ever shot. He passed forty years ago, but as time went by my interest in shooting steered more to the single shot. In the mid eighties I got my first ML rifle, a Traditions .54 cal. mountain style rifle. I had a long progression from there including several inlines, which I never enjoyed as much.
I always enjoyed the traiditonal skills, making my own powder horns, shoulder bags, knives, etc. A few years ago I joined a black powder club nearby (Lock Stock and Barrel, Fulton NY) and started shooting more regularly. Going to a flintlock seemed a natural progression.

I built my first muzzloading rifle from a TC Hawken kit, back around ‘78. Shot that a couple years, then I felt I need a better gun. And started scratch building the next gun. Once again many, many guns later. I’m building yet another gun better suited for my present needs. What a rabbit hole indeed. BJH

Probably not the best time to start this up (Christmas Eve,) because responses might be lengthy. However, what occurred over the years that brought you to where you are now in your flint lock long gun place you are today?
Allow me to start. I am 76. In the mid 70s my home state of VA, opened a primitive rifle season. I rushed out and bought a new what we know today as an inline. For less than $100 I got a cap lock gun that was as cheaply made as you might imagine, but I was ready for that new season. But then I learned the primitive must be a side lock. So missed that first season. Subsequently I started acquiring T/C cap lock guns: a ..36 Seneca, a .45 Cherokee, and a .50 flint Hawken. I knew nothing of flint locks but made myself learn. I never fired that gun and got fast ignition. My learning process was with wooden flints, then pan primed firing without loading, and from that learned to keep my sights aligned on a target while the cock fell. In the early 80s, before custom builders were many, I contracted a local builder to make me a .45 longrifle. 42" barrel, silver mounted, siler lock. I was forever hooked. Bought two new Jack Garner flintlocks. Then a Chambers early Lancaster kit I had assembled by that local builder. Three Lyman GPRs and another T/C. Fast forward to the 90s when my vision went south. Sold out. Stayed out until after I moved to FL (A whole other story.) Then I discovered 1.25X reading glasses which made the sights clear again. Got back into black powder 3 years ago and now have 2 new flinters, my latest a Colonial. Oh how I wish I had all those sold guns back.
What is your muzzle loader story?
I got into bp in 1988 I went to our local range to watch some of the shooting events in our Provincial Summer Games. I found the small bore folks , and watched the 3position shooting, was impressed by their precision, but little else. Nobody was having fun! I heard some loud BOOMS from the next range, and decided to check that out as well. LO an behold! There were a bunch of shooters decked out in 1800's costume, blazing away at critter-shaped gongs as well as targets. And guess what?! They were having fun! A lot of razzing and laughing. PLUS!...They were shooting big smoky-flashy muzzle loaders! I got talking with one of the gents, who saw my interest, and he invited me to return the next weekend for the local club's BP day. I did, and got instantly hooked. I bought a TC Hawken kit the next week, assembled it, and never looked back. I wore that barrel out over about 12 years, got a GR drop-in, shot it for a few more years, then replaced it with a Pecatonica Jaeger that I built from their parts, and switched completely over to flint. My son now has the TC. Over the years, I have put together about 10 kits for other folks, and restored/salvaged a number of others. I presently shoot the Jaeger, a .40 Leman style long rifle, a NSW Trade gun, and a Pecatonica blunderbuss; all my builds. It is a great satisfaction to get to a shoot and spot a few guns I made on the line. I even had one fellow who described to me in great detail how his rifle had been custom made 'by a guy on Vancouver Island' I didn't enlighten him, but I did look up the fellow I made it for, and gave him a rough time for selling it. Turns out he couldn't handle the long barrel.

Well, I can see from the responses that I'm definitely sticking out here, but I got my first flintlock (also first gun of any kind)...2 years ago!

I was born in 1992, so I pretty much wasn't even born during the time most people in here are discussing.

That being said, I got into watching the old BBC show Sharpe during the Covid-19 lockdown. From there, I read the books, and then decided I wanted to learn to shoot flintlocks. Because, well ****, it seemed like it would be fun.

I went to my local gun store here in Southern California and asked if they had any, and was promptly told that I had no idea what I was doing. Not to be deterred, I even tried a local reloading supply warehouse to see if they knew anything about muzzleloading. The guy just so happened to have a flyer stapled to his wall with information on a local muzzleloading group at the outdoor range closest to my city.

I thought it was crazy. I've never done anything like this before. I work in a library for heaven's sake, and truth be told my parents raised me not use firearms.

But, nonetheless, I showed up to the group just hoping to get some information on how to get started. Well, little did I know, that Sunday morning they shoved some percussion muzzleloaders in my hands right then and there. Seniors of the group were even kind enough to loan me kit until I got started!
The rest was history!

A very short and recent history, but history nonetheless! LOL

Well, I can see from the responses that I'm definitely sticking out here, but I got my first flintlock (also first gun of any kind)...2 years ago!

I was born in 1992, so I pretty much wasn't even born during the time most people in here are discussing.

That being said, I got into watching the old BBC show Sharpe during the Covid-19 lockdown. From there, I read the books, and then decided I wanted to learn to shoot flintlocks. Because, well Cranberries, it seemed like it would be fun.

I went to my local gun store here in Southern California and asked if they had any, and was promptly told that I had no idea what I was doing. Not to be deterred, I even tried a local reloading supply warehouse to see if they knew anything about muzzleloading. The guy just so happened to have a flyer stapled to his wall with information on a local muzzleloading group at the outdoor range closest to my city.

I thought it was crazy. I've never done anything like this before. I work in a library for heaven's sake, and truth be told my parents raised me not use firearms.

But, nonetheless, I showed up to the group just hoping to get some information on how to get started. Well, little did I know, that Sunday morning they shoved some percussion muzzleloaders in my hands right then and there. Seniors of the group were even kind enough to loan me kit until I got started!
The rest was history!

A very short and recent history, but history nonetheless! LOL
That is very inspiring and I believe you are a mountain man in the making. I hope you come back here often and let us know of your progress. The best thing about this forum is the willingness and eagerness to help. Every question and adventure is very welcome. I think ALL the answers are here. Thank you for your input.

T/C Hawken kit back in 1979. Knew nothing about building one, and no one to guide me soooo... I ruined it.
Was near 20 year before I tried flintlocks again.
Any deer would've been safe as Momma's arms... Just never could get one to group! Lymans, T/C's, CVA's, even a couple custom rifles, but no dice. Thought it was me flinching.
Then I got a nice Renegade, a couple in fact, and tried some " other " loads.
Bingo. Nice 50 yard groups. Inch or a bit larger, for 3 and quite consistent too! Wasn't me after all. Will still keep trying on the more traditional loads though.
I'm stubborn.

For me, started in '78 when dad had worked on a friends flintlock, getting it working for the late flintlock season here in PA. He let me shoot it a hand full of times and I really liked it. Bought my first, a CVA in '79 and primarily only shot it enough to be proficient for that late season hunt. Have owned (and still do) many production style flintlocks, TC's, Traditions and Lymans and 8 years ago, seen and shot my first custom long gun, a TVM lancaster and fell in love. Now own several customs, shoot as much for fun now as I do for hunting, primarily only hunting with flintlocks. Son has inherited most of my production guns now but I still shoot them from time to time, even hunting this year with my investarm .58 flintlock.

I started shooting a CVA .32 percussion in 82 or 83. I then built a T/C New Englander kit in .54 with 12 ga barrel. 85 I got a Hatfield .50 flintlock. I have been hooked on the flintlock ever since. Currently have New Englander, Investarms LH .50 , TVM .54 Flint and custom made .62 Flint smoothbore and 10Ga Dbl barrel. I have not shot my modern deer rifles in over 10 years.

Mwal

I got started in BP back in 1964 in Maine while in the Air Force, got a used .36 colt cap and ball....well used! The first shot it nearly fell apart !
From that point on I built a .32 flintlock from Dixon's in the style of a Bedford Co. but the flint didn't work very well so I had George Dech change it over to percussion, from there on I built more guns and am still doing it , thanks to Jim Kibler.
Back in the Bicentennial days I belonged to a group from Phila. where we reenacted a Reg't of the 43rd British and the 2nd Pa Reg't, did more of the British due to the locals having their own militia units wanting someone to fight! I carried a Brown Bess made ,in Japan which worked very well, wouldn't mind getting another one. I used that one to kill a deer one year. I haven't gone hunting in years now, the last deer I got with a .50 cal. Haines style rifle, large doe that fell instantly.

Back