• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm Still Shaking! Placed Order for Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they just took the gun off their website. It will be here tomorrow so in the meantime here is a shot of it
0HvPXke.jpg

Well my rifle just arrived via Fedex! It looks so much better than the photos off TOTW! I can't see a blemish anywhere! I took a few pics but they just don't show the true beauty of the curl in the stock. It even came with some trinkets in the patch box and a sling which I didn't expect!

84ovUXE.jpg

kGGtew2.jpg

3GKRVpb.jpg

I2K8DiL.jpg

y2VQcQJ.jpg

Since the link no longer works in my first post I should list the features of the gun. The style of the gun is from Christians Spring, Pennsylvania.

Signed Spittler at the breech this rifle has a 14" trigger reach and weighs 9.3 pounds.

It has a 44" Colerain swamped octagon barrel with a patina gray finish.

The .50 caliber bore is cut rifled with six round bottom grooves with a 1 in 56" slow twist.

Stocked in curly maple stained to a light brown.

Ignition is provided by an early Germanic style flintlock, by Jim Chambers. The lock is finished to a patina gray.

I will posit that you'll still be enjoying the rifle long after you forget what you spent.

it's really pretty - you're gonna have a blast (I know, the gates of pun hell swing ever wider)

Well I'm shaking again and I can't sleep, all because I just noticed something on this rifle that's driving me nuts! Please tell me I'm just being to anal about this or am I on to something.

The vent liner on my rifle is not centered over the pan. It's slightly forward. Will this cause ignition problems? I know shoot it and find out.

Problem is I have a 10 day visual inspection period to return the rifle if not satisfied. If I shoot it I own it! Tell me I'm over analyzing the situation. Here's a pic:

vsnuPhJ.jpg

I have a rifle that was built about 25 years ago, and the touch hole was off center like yours. It was fussy about ignition, and I tried enlarging the touch hole, but that really didn't help. I used a Dremel to widen the pan so it was more centered, and that was a big help.

Is it just the angle of the photo or is the hole below the top of the pan as well as being off center?

Do this: measure the distance from breechplug to the muzzle with your ramrod. Now compare that length with the position of the touch hole. I like the touch hole to be about 1/8" ahead of the breech plug.

By looking at your pic, I’d say it’s a nonissue. Should fire just fine! Personally, when I prime I add a very small amount almost right up against the touch hole and tilt the rifle slightly towards myself. Pick the touch hole and gently tap the forearm a couple of times. Fire’s with no noticeable delays 99% of the time. I personally use this same procedure on every flintlock I own.

Looking at the placement of your touch hole in relation to the pan, I personally don’t see a problem.

Respectfully, Cowboy

While the position of the vent hole is not ideal, I don't think it is far enough off to make a lot of difference in the ignition speed of the flintlock.

The only way to know is to shoot a few shots with it.

If it has a lot of mis-fires then enlarging the width of the pan like excess650 mentioned should improve things.

It should shoot fine.

In looking at the rest of the gun, it does look as if it were built by someone with less than optimal skills. The rounded corners on the cheek-piece, the patchbox lid, the area behind the hammer and the positioning of the touch-hole suggest insufficient knowledge of rifle building & architecture.

Just my thoughts and are worth what you paid for them. Much depends on what you paid and whether you got your money's worth...

Well ya'll made me feel better about this. I was up all night worrying. I was all ready to ship it back to TOTW for a refund. I'll just shoot it and if there are issues I'll hit the pan with my Dremel.

I have a charity shoot this Sat so I'll find out how it shoots. Regardless I think I got more than my moneys worth.

Latest posts

Back