• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm Still Shaking! Placed Order for Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't think the vent hole being off center that much would make much of a difference in ignition. Since the rifle has already been shot before, I don't see why you couldn't put a few rounds through it to make sure there isn't a problem before you start modifying the pan. If there is a problem, I would think you could clean it real good and still send it back.

No....cant get away with that, they be like a wife when ya come home late. A bottle of Listerine and a pack of Dentyne and she still knows ya was having a cold one ("and we talked about that last week didn't we") :shake:

I would think if that is the case then he wouldn't be able to send it back anyway. It says you can return it in "unfired condition" since it has already been fired before he got it, how is he supposed to send it back in "unfired condition"? :blah: :grin:

:hmm: Sure. I guess. Though I believe that means you cant fire it? I myself would send it back. Even the cheaper factory made rifles do way better than that at placement of the touch hole? Perhaps the builder could move the barrel back to better fit?

Boomerang said:
I would think if that is the case then he wouldn't be able to send it back anyway. It says you can return it in "unfired condition" since it has already been fired before he got it, how is he supposed to send it back in "unfired condition"? :blah: :grin:

Looks like TOW put some red substance on the frizzen to keep things honest.

Gene L said:
Boomerang said:

Looks like TOW put some red substance on the frizzen to keep things honest.

You guys are killin' me! :cursing: Return it, don't return it. :idunno: It's not put together right, it looks gorgeous! :doh:

The red on the frizzen is just reflective light.

I've been dry firing it with the flint that was already mounted just to get the feel of it. The trigger is sweet with no creep and it doesn't rattle around like the triggers on all my other factory guns. :grin:

Frustrating isn't it! :doh: If you are happy with it, that's all that matters. It has a couple of minor defects, but nothing that cant be fixed and I don't think the offset touch hole will make any difference, but the only way to be sure is to shoot it. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't allow you to try it since it has already been shot. Maybe you could give them a call and explain the situation to them and see if they would let you try it.

If I paid $4K for it I would not be happy and would most likely send it back.

If I paid $500 for it, I would keep it.

I do not have a lot of experience with flintlocks. However, think about the science behind the ignition.
Do you think that the offset touch hole will really impact ignition?

Will the priming powder most likely cover the touch hole?

Will the flash of the pan be able to over come the the off set hole?

It is not a marriage. If you dont like it after a period of time sell it.

If it works fine and will drive you nuts every time you look at it, send it back.
Fleener

Bearkiller said:
You guys are killin' me! :cursing: Return it, don't return it. :idunno: It's not put together right, it looks gorgeous! :doh:
I just call them like I see them. If I'm going to pay hard-earned money for something, it had better be right. A collection of small issues may indicate a larger problem...

I see a 1/4" liner offset in the pan. It COULD be replaced with a 5/16" or 3/8" White Lightning, but either of those would require the existing hole be bore off center with an end mill prior to tapping. The 3/8" liner could move the touch hole 1/16" towards center.

When I widened the pan on my .45, I had no choice in that the touch hole was already too close to the breechplug. By widening the pan towards the front, it allowed the priming charge to better centered and definitely improved ignition on my rifle.

This rifle may not have an ignition issue at all in that the pan holds more powder than the large Siler on my .45.

If you are happy with the rifle except for the offset touch hole liner, I would say keep it. If the offset hole retards ignition, (might or might not???) then I would enlarge the pan towards the muzzle to make the touchhole more centered. If you look at real original firearms, they ALL had little boo boos. Nothing is perfect. It's otherwise a nice looking rifle by the way.

You are in a tough spot on this one. It looks to be a fine rifle & by all accounts you are happy with it except about the touch hole. IMO (that & $1.06 will get you a small coffee at McDonalds) it wont be a problem & hinder ignition. However every time you have a hang fire or missfire you are going to blame that touch hole for the issue whether it was its fault or not.

If it were me & I was otherwise happy with the rifle I would call COTW & have a very real convo with them about it. Tell them you understand their inspection policy but you have a concern. Let them know based on your inspection that a test fire is warranted. You arent looking to work up groups to test its accuracy. Just to test its reliability. If they cant make an exception to their policy you will have to return it.
My guess is they will let you try it. If they dont & you keep it anyway you will always have that doubt about it in the back of your mind.

I would send it back. Anyone can make a mistake, but TOTW should have shown pictures, or documented this issue. I would be kicking myself in the butt whenever it misfires. Good luck in your decision.

Bunch of crazy talk here. That is going to work just fine. That is not even close to being far enough off to make any difference.

billraby said:
Bunch of crazy talk here. That is going to work just fine. That is not even close to being far enough off to make any difference.
I agree....however if I paid serious money for the rifle, it had better worth every penny of it...and I myself had better think it is. The OP has already seen a defect that he doesn't care for...that defect can't be fixed easily...and will always be there. If it were a 800$ rifle, I could live with it...I suspect his rifle cost substantially more than that, therefore I would send it back.

As previously mentioned, there are several other issues that would make me question the overall purchase. Yes, it might shoot fine, but the touch-hole position is the least of my concerns. Frankly, the build quality leaves much to be desired in my eyes. True, the issues are mostly cosmetic, but I would want a rifle that looks like a period rifle and not something that sorta looks like a period rifle...

Whether the rifle is PC/HC is a non issue for me. The position of the touch hole plays more on my sense of symmetry. My OCD can't take it :cursing:

Since it was after business hours by the time I got around to it I sent TOTW an email with the photo of the touch hole. I asked if I could test fire it or return it. I'll call them tomorrow to follow up. I really like the rifle though....

Bearkiller said:
Whether the rifle is PC/HC is a non issue for me.
Fine. Do you want a well-built rifle or one that was someones learner project? Because that is what I see..

Well I got my email reply. Sounds good to me.

Dear Kenny:

Yes, we extend your approval period until November 1st.

Yes, please test fire the rifle and report your success.

Prime with 1/3 pan full of GOEX FFFFg, banked well away from the vent hole. No
synthetics, no substitutes, do not cover the hole.

Charge the bore with perhaps 60 grains of GOEX FFFg. No substitutes.

Some gun makers place the vent slightly forward, to prevent fouling on the plug face
from obscuring the vent hole. You can use a ramrod as a depth gauge to find the exact
plug face location. Old guns have this issue, generally resolved by using a
"U" groove under the vent.

If you elect to move the center of the vent, it is an easy fix to install a larger vent
(our THL-W5S) on a new centerline. We sell the vent liner and tap. Your gunsmith must
use a Bridgeport style knee mill (not a drill press), to do this work precisely and
quickly.

Mr. Bradley Emig, Cabin Creek Muzzle Loading Supplies, can do this work, or he can
recommend a skilled craftsman in your area who can relocate a White Lightnin' Vent.

Advise your success,

David S. Ripplinger

ps: since I do not own a consignment gun, defer any attempt to modify the gun until you
approve your purchase. It is a used gun, thus you may test it as you wish.

Back