• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double ball loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian6396

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read historical accounts of soldiers loading two balls and one powder charge.
has anyone experimented with this loading? :stir:

If you go to the Hunting section and go to the 4th page you will find a thread that is titled "45cal 2X Field Test gets meat for needy family" it will answer your question. DANNY

yep! works great! especially in a smoothie! I participate in a yearly scenario shoot were you don't know what's going to happen, and/or what you are going to be shooting at....the shots can range from needing just shot, to buck and ball to sometimes a double ball....the most we shoot is prolly 25/30 yards, and the double ball only separates a few inches....so if your holding dead center of a human chest target.....both balls will be in the chest....at least from my experience using a .62 Early English Trade gun with a 39 inch barrel....

If search for "double ball" (with the quotes) you will get result with that exact phrase.

If you simply search double ball you will get everything with "either" word in the subject matter.

Yep, some even double charge and double ball...

My small game load for my .40 is 30gs FFF Goex...With 60grs and 2 balls they hit dead on out to 50 yards or so...

Actually the velocity wouldn't be anywhere near that much lower...I want to chronograph my own .45cal double ball load after the season just to 'know'...but in the meantime, as an example T/C's load data chart for .45cal double ball load shows velocity stayed very high:

I said energy - not velocity - though apparantly the pressure must increase enough to make more difference than I anticipated.

It must be true if it is in print.

I still maintain that if you don't have confidence in one, well placed ball then there are better changes to make than adding a second to the load; where legal. Like practice or upsizing calibers.

Not trying to sell you on using them, LOL...I don't plan to use them routinely either...have plenty of larger calibers.
I tested / took a Doe with a 2X .45cal PRB load this year just as a 2013 project for the hands on experience of it

My results at 50 yards with my 28 bore would have been in the deers chest.
But
Instead of the center of the target one was at the top the other at the bottom. This was about a pie plate plate size target.
IMHO I find that an interesting target load but too unpredictable for a hunting load at least out of a smoothbore.

They seem to do surprisingly well out of rifles...this is how my .45cal prints at 50yds, and my .40/.50cals do the same.

Brian6396 said:
I have read historical accounts of soldiers loading two balls and one powder charge.
has anyone experimented with this loading? :stir:

Soldiers?
This was thought to be a way to increase stopping power for dangerous game. So I suppose its been tried on people too. But I see little benefit here. The musket armed "Soldier" in the time of the ML carried an arm that was completely effective against humans with little need for a double ball.
The US Army did use more buck and ball loads, a RB and three buckshot about 30-31 cal than it did ball only cartridges until the advent of the Minie Ball.

Dan

I have shot double ball out of my .40, .45, and .50 cal. rifles, and have found the point of impact to be surprisingly close.
Recoil with the lighter caliber rifles was negligible. Impact on game is tremendous.
You "MUST" be certain that both balls are sitting tightly on the powder load. With tightly patched balls, that is no problem.
You will have to adjust for lower impact point with the two balls, but you are going to practice a little before hunting, are you not?
For practice, hang an old frying pan from a tree.
Shoot it with one ball, then shoot it with a double ball.
Come back and tell us the difference, especially your observation of impact on the frying pan.
Best regards
Fred

Old Ford, can't tell if your post was actually for me or not.
If it was, I did my range testing during the summer and took a deer with the .45cal 2XPRB load in early November...so I won't be shooting any frying pans, LOL

Look guys, deer are not bullet proof. Nor are elk.
If the double ball load changes the point of impact then the rifleman must have the experience to allow for this.
On deer especially if not what you hit them with its WHERE YOU HIT THEM.
For example, W.D.M Bell killed something over 1100 African Elephants most of these with the 7x57 Mauser (.275 Rigby). He was also a great proponent of the 220 Swift for Red Stag in Scotland.
But to say he was an exceptional rifle shot would be almost be an under statement.
Using his formula most deer hunters in the east could use a 32 caliber rifle and head shots. In fact at the ranges often mentioned here a 32 caliber would work for chest shots if in just the right place. Yes double ball loads work. Impossible for them not to. Back in the 60s a Hollywood Stunt man killed an African Rhino with a 58cal FL using double balls an a LOT of powder.

Dan

Thanks to all thar responded.
this was not a hunting plan, but rather a curiosity that I might play with at the range.
the historical accounts were of british soldiers prior to the revolution. One in particular was the Boston massacre.

Those results are typical out of a rifle from what I've seen. It could be viable load especially for the smaller bore rifles like .40s and .45s.

Now out of my smoothbore, they jut had too much spread.

Latest posts

Back