• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition while loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When out shooting these days I bring a pint of moose milk and swab between shots, mainly to get consistent groups in a riffled barrel. I was taught in the field to blow down the barrel till all smoke clears out the touch hole seems to work flawlessly. Also not sure what problems you would have pouring from a flask with a measure stop can't see how it would chain into the main well, but a proper measure is always going to produce a more consistent group. I personally love paper cartridges for smooth bores and have been playing with that concept even for my rifle for a more convenient backup shot.
Moose milk... that's new to me.
We don't got Meese around my place.
I use a measured flask for my percussion revolvers but my smokepoles get it from the horn to the measure, down the spout - after a swab. I'll still blow in the bore from time to time, but that's more a habit. I don't function very well in the cold, old injuries. I packed in hunting in 2011. When the pain exceeds the pleasure and all that.
I did play a little with paper cartridges, but eventually just tore them open. Pain exceeding the pleasure, once again. Maybe I should have used nitrated paper instead of cigarette paper.
Besides, if I was to make a LAST STAND, it's unlikely I'll select a muzzleloader to do it with.

Why? What evil do you think is going to happen? I blow down my rifle barrel after every shot. It adds a little moisture to the fouling & confirms my nipple is clear. Some say it blows out any embers, but I don't know how one can "prove" that. Old timers did it all the time, so I'm saying it's "period correct"! Now watch everybody scream I'm crazy & how unsafe I am.
Of all the accounts I have read, I have never read about "old timers" turning their head into a canoe with their weapon unless it was intended. I got my first ML when I was 13 ( a Zoli .58 Remington) and was taught to blow down the barrel before reloading. Do I still do it, yes. Will I do it to my end of days, yes. Does it do any good? Who knows, probably not. In the final analysis, who cares. It's just part of the experience. If you don't blow down the barrel and there is an ember down there waiting for the opportunity to blow your head apart, you will never know. In reality it was probably started by someone who wanted to watch men wrap their lips around a big tube of steel. For what reason? I will leave that to your imagination. In any case, have fun because life will end sooner than you think.

Really? After the safety part what part of that is commo sense? Waiting 20 minutes to reload? Or checking after 20 min if the gun is loaded, and if it is, to remove yourself from the shooting line to pull the ball?
I think common sense isn't all that common.
I’m going to pull the ball up there, not behind the line

Recently a reader suggested that I use spell check, my computer died so I'm using my kindle, it has the needy habit of changing a word go something completely unrelated , unless I take the time go proof read, well you can imagine

When I do edit, I mark it as such.

EDIT:
Like so, or

Edited because our spellings disagree.

On the main, I do not like to edit. Can't be accused of changing it up if you let her stand, bad grammar and spelling regardless.
"A man has to be pretty stupid if he can't think of more than one way to spell a word." Once said by Andrew Jackson, a noted poor speller.

Back