• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How tight to patch a ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, advice taken. Yes, still have a sample of the patch material I was given, went to JoAnne's with a micrometer and found a 100% cotton tightly woven canvas like cloth the same thickness, tested it today and it worked well, was getting 1560fps with a 50gr charge, accuracy was about 2-3 inches at 50yds, and recovered patches all looked as if they could be used again. I mixed some 1:6 Ballistol and water in a small spray bottle and used it, Oh, and I bought the book off ebay and plan to read it when it gets here.
View attachment 286772
Well, the book arrived, I've read it, and have been working through the system, best patch material so farr was a very tight 12oz indigo blue denim, that measures. 026" uncompressed, and .012" compressed, with a .495 ball, lubed with 1:6 ballistol:water shoots even tighter than the patch material I was loaned during the previous match. Used this load to pretty much sweep "B" class in the last monthly match.

20240211_155823.jpg

20240204_144640.jpg

Still working through the system, but am pleased with the results so far.

I also tried his waterless cleaning system, with good results in terms of rust prevention, but the flash hole quickly foweled with gunk, couldn't get a pipe cleaner around the 90' turns, how do you keep it clear without returning to flushing it with hot water?

Latest posts

Back